Lossless Files Vs CD's

I'm curious as to how much difference have you been able to hear. Is one clearly better than the other? What are the pro's and con's of each from your chair?
digitalaudio
"in the direction that is followed by the spiral track"

Al, that's what I meant by "along the disk". I'm still amazed that it works that well. Once external DAC is involved the choice of transports opens to DVD or Bluray players that have very good tracking and usually (at least with dedicated DVD players) poor analog outputs. Hidden benefit of using DVD player is inherent support for MP3 playback.

My attempts to create separate network failed since OSX allows one wireless infrastructure network at the time while Airport Express does not work ad-hock. I ended up with dual band router (Mac has dual band adapter) serving music at 5GHz and other computer at 2.4GHz. Ralink utility scan shows no networks other than mine on 5GHz. I'm not surprised since 5GHz routers are not common. Also 5GHz propagates poorly thru the walls (blessing). No dropouts ever !!!
Jwm - Amarra and PM use the CODECS that are the problem. They work with Apple Mac. You have to turn off itunes and use the playlist function to play FLAC in Amarra.

I prefer a particular version of Amarra, not 2.4, over PM. I have compared it to PM. If you have Amarra, you can download this version here:

www.sonicstudio.com/releases/Amarra_233_Release_4319.zip

They are evidently working on a version of 2.4 that has similar sound quality, but I have not heard it yet. If we can get the stability of 2.4 with the SQ of the older version above, this will be the one to get IMO.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Almarg - there is really easy jitter test for CD transports. Just rewrite a commercial CD track with a CDROM drive from a .wav file on a computer. Use a good disk like Mitsui Audio Master.

If you hear any difference between the commmercial disk and the copy when played on the CD transport, then you are hearing jitter artifacts.

I have yet to play a CDP that does not show this effect.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Steve, Have you tried Windows 8 on a PC with wave files? I know that you've been a Mac Proponent, but Win 8 is very audibly better than Win 7. I'd like to hear your impressions. Being a guy with a big family, i'm on a budget and can't go out and grab a Mac.
Any comments would be appreciated... Tim
Configured optimally SqueezeCenter (Server) decodes FLAC at the computer/server and streams PCM to the Squeezedevice. At least that's the way I understand it to work.