PS Audio PWD MkII vs W4S DAC2

Has anyone done a comparo between these two DAC's. Love my W4S Dac2 but if the PWD MkII is a big step up, I might get the itch. Most interested in coax connection; less in USB.

Thanks.

Neal
nglazer
You say that 2.4.3 is best sounding DAC Firmware thus far. Was this immediately apparent or was some "burn in" required. (Not sure how Firmware burns in.) Can you elaborate a bit on the improvements?

I likely will try it but want to have some idea of what to expect.
Firmware and software are instructions for a computer to execute a specific task so it doesn't require burn-in.

The most obvious improvement is coherancy of the sound. Everything just seems to flow and improved pace. A possible fix to jitter? Resolution also improved but doesn't sacrifice musicality.

There are multiple versions of PWD so dependiong on your unit, you will prefer a different version of firmware.

My brother has a PWD MKII upgraded from a MKI and he prefers an older firmware version. This is the reason I don't trust forums and just judge with my own ears.
Knghifi, I recently bought a PWD mkII and am looking to tinker with it. Frankly, I think it sounds a little bright in my system, and from the start I was not crazy about the inclusion of the touch-screen feature. You say that you replaced the Touch DPS with an LPS from Channel Island. I've googled this but I can't find what this is or how it's done.
In answer to Audiobill:

http://www.avhub.com.au/images/stories/australian-hifi/reviews/2012/2012-03/ps_audio_perfectwave_pwt_pwd_review_lores.pdf
I keep wishing their was a head to head with the PWD MK2 vs. NAD M-51...just saying
Rfprice the PWD needs mucho break in a good 300-400 hours.. if you have a computer of sorts hooked to it just put on a radio station or Pandora or whatever and just let it play on..

Also I found that the firmware can make a bit difference I'm using the older 2.0.2 I find it's the most lush sounding.. It's pretty simple to try out different versions.

Also the filters are not as PSA describes them they're actually like this:

1. Linear phase ‘soft-knee’ filter.
2. Minimum phase ‘brickwall’ filter.
3. Minimum phase ‘soft-knee’ filter (Auto).
4. Linear phase apodising filter.
5. Minimum phase apodising filter

In The PWD Owners manual they're list as this:

Filter 1 MP APOD. Minimum phase Apodising filter.
Filter 2 MP SOFT. Minimum phase soft knee filter.
Filter 3 LP APOD. Linear phase Apodising filter.
Filter 4 LP SOFT. Linear phase soft knee filter.
Filter 5 MP 1/2B. Minimum phase recursive Half Band symmetrical filter

So try filter 5 or 4.. and if you're using the USB input try using Native not NativeX some folks feel that on the USB input (only) Native sounds better..