Why CD players will never be dead

The main reason , there is just way to many CD's out there to end a format . Anyone want to take a guess how many ? The manufacturers are still putting there time and resources into developing new and better players , and people with servers seem to be spinning disc's more than ever .
tmsorosk
I still buy cds both new and used. (The new Impulse 2-on-1s are excellent and cheap.) I only handle them long enough to rip them to disk and then I file them away in my storage room.

I find the sound is better off hard disk than any of my 3 players ever were. I don't care if cds are discontinued as long as downloads are as inexpensive. I have never been a fan of the cd format.
Rrm - use XLD for ripping to Mac - its free:

http://tmkk.pv.land.to/xld/index_e.html

You must be on line to rip using Accurate-Rip for comparison. iTunes is not good enough.

I would recommend to rip CD's to AIFF if you want tags and album art to be preserved. If you only care about sound quality, rip to .wav.

These are great questions. More audiophiles should ask these. This way, you dont have to do it over, only once.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
While I use sacd/cd primarily as back up to my vinyl rig, I know that I am a dinosaur and think that the future is where Steve is now.

I already lived through the "death" of vinyl and sure am glad I never bought into it and retained my records and improved my vinyl rig. I feel the same way about sacd/cd and after screwing around with no disc and sony repair finally jettisoned the 777.

I ended up getting a great deal on a Esoteric X03SE and son of a bitch what a spinner. I fully realize I am still in the honeymoon stage of ownership but I am delighted beyond measure with the sound quality.

If a server can dish up sound like or better than the esoteric than I do not blame anyone for investigating or using their computer.

I do like how the prices on cd's have dropped because all the kids are ripping. Thanks Dudes.
"These are great questions. More audiophiles should ask these.”

Some of us are so overwhelmed by just the jargon that we don’t feel we can put our questions into words. My whole life, I thought I was pretty smart and could learn anything... until computers.
I buy CDs and rip them to my server. I like having the physical medium and I can pick up used CDs cheap. Since there is no such thing as a used download, I'm unlikely to find an album in Redbook or better for a $1.