Rega DAC? Oppo 95 and wait?

Well....Here I am firmly on the fence trying to decide on a DAC for my system. DAC's I'm interested in are the Rega DAC, Eastern Electric Dac, PS Audio iii. All of these DACs have lots of good buzz. The rega is a serious contender but it worries me that so many are for sale used already. Some folks not really digging it in their systems?
Another idea is to just order a new Oppo 95 and wait a while longer to see what other Dacs hit the market in the near future. It's certainly a booming area of audio.

System: Merlin TSM-MXr, Manley Stingray II. Cardas SE9 cables and a MJ Acoustics 150 MKII sub. Some CD players that have been tried (all enjoyed but looking for more) Rega apollo, Oppo 981, Audio Aero Prima, Jolida JD100.

Ideas?

Rob
robbob
Chayro I do understand your point and it may certainly have had more validity in the past than now. It seems to me the real excitement in digital is happening at the budget end of the market. In reading professional reviews I am seeing many of these low priced DAC's being compared favorably with much more expensive units. I can certainly attest to the quality of the units I have on hand. This is not to say that you might find something with more refinement or more to your liking at a higher pricepoint which is often the case and the general rule in most things audio. The question of course is whether or not it is worth paying the difference, ESPECIALLY a moving target like digital. All the units I have mentioned are superb performers. The Eastern Electric has just been released and the folks at Stereophile though the OPPO 95 was good enough to put it into their A+ category of digital sources, maybe a bit over the top but it does say that they think very highly of it as do I. I also own an $850.00 MHDT Havana a NOS unit that has been compared favorability (better than) the reviewer's 3.5K NOS unit.

My only point is that before laying down more money for something "better" it would be wise to listen first to be sure. Buying at the budget end of the market is less risky in that if you don't like, its easier and less costly to turn over.
I haven't heard the Oppo, so no opinion on it.

I owned the Rega Apollo and searched for a while to find a $1k and under upgrade to it. I bought a Rega DAC and have no regrets whatsoever. Even though they're the same price, the DAC is in no way a lateral move. Everything the Apollo did, the DAC does quite a bit better. The DAC is on the level of the Saturn, not the Apollo. Many have said the DAC is different that the Saturn, but not better or worse. I haven't heard them side by side, but I've heard the Saturn more than enough to know the DAC is on equal footing with it.

If you liked what the Apollo did in your system, the DAC may very well be the answer. It was to me. Nothing beats a demo, especially in your home. If you have a local Rega dealer, you should make it a point to hear one. If not, I'm pretty sure Audio Advisor and Music Direct have a 30 day money back policy.
I'm slowly...ever so slowly...leaning towards the Rega DAC.

Thanks for the comments.

Rob