Oppo BDP-95 sounds GREAT?

Stereophile Sept.: Oppo‘s BDP-95, it plays everything and sounds great. Any experience with it? How great is „great“ in reality? Great comparable to Wadia, EMMlabs or Esoteric? Great enough for those „masterings“ which gave us monthly sonic revolutions the last 20 years? ,Great‘ to impress anybody who hates CD‘s and is forced listening to it?
The sonic truth between 0 and 1? I am looking for a CD Player. Where‘s the experiemce of this reference sound quality secret?
128x128syntax
Thanks to all again for your help. The FL/FR option definitely made a difference. IMO, they really need to re-write that section of the owner's manual; as it's pretty confusing.

It would be nice if they just devoted one page to all the optimal setting for best sounding 2 channel audio. I THINK I'm there now! At least I had the brains to use the dedicated stereo outputs from day 1!

My initial listening with the change seemed to show a moderation of the tone on USB Flac hi-res (a good thing), & a wider & more 3d soundstage on red book cd.

The power cord is supposed to be here tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the local power co shut off electricity today all day for cable repairs. From past experience I need to re-power up the system for at least 3 days before doing any serious listening.
Just a couple quicky comments: I'm at around 5 weeks powered up. Using the Venom power cord, & 90's $200 Tara Analog standard interconnect.

While very sensitive to the mastering quality of what it's playing, on hi res this puppy is STAGGERING. I only better front end I have ever owned was an entry level ($2k in early 90's dollars I think) Well Tempered Record Player with a Blue Point standard; & that's by an OLD memory as I had to sell the TT in 1995.

I haven't done much redbook listening due to time constraints. Did a quicky comparison tonight between my old but beloved Esoteric P-10->Illuminati->PS Audio SL3 & the BDP 95. The comparison was a bit flawed as somehow the PS Audio had been powered down (I don't know for how long). Under those circumstances the Oppo was more refined & had a better soundstage (IMO soundstaging is this puppy's #1 strength).

For the price this puppy is amazing; especially if you look at it as a $500 Blu-ray player & $500 audio player!

At this point I'd say it has 4 main weaknesses, all of which I can live with at this price point:

1. Unforgiving of bad mastering

2. Occasional lock ups & glitches with the eternal computer

3. Apparently parts of the HDCD licensing have changed since the 90's; HDCD red book is AT LEAST the uncorrected 3db quieter than regular cd; it feels like considerably more than 3 db.

4. 1/2 second or so pause between tracks when playing computer files. Usually this is no big deal, but it made side 2 of Abbey Road (as an example) pretty unlistenable!

Oppo tells me this is a known issue that they DON'T plan to fix.
While it took several emails to get them to understand what i was asking, it appears that we were wrong on this,

"When using the dedicated stereo or the XLR outputs, the four DAC channels are stacked in parallel automatically.

When using the Front Left and Right output from the multi-channel analog outputs, then you can't stack the DAC channels. It is a single DAC channel per output.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc."
I own neither but have this question. Did anyone do BLIND testing? If not, it's all a bunch if hooey IMO.

*remember the little jar of rocks?

feh
Having lived with a stock 95 for about 1 month & a half:

Strengths:
1. Value to price compared to any other unit i've ever heard/seen is astonishing

2. Soundstaging is the best I have ever heard un my system, including a $3k analog front end.

3. Video is excellent.

4. Plays iso's with firmware through 12/12.

Weaknesses

1.Internal computer glitches require occasional power cycles. I've only experienced this on audio

2. SLIGHTLY forward midrange. It still is by far the best sounding cd player I've heard under 3k, & the best hi-res player I've heard at any price; but I suspect if one had more $'s to spend there are probably more refined players out there tonally. But likely not at this price, or even close to it. (caveat: I have not heard the Nu-Force 93).

I have gotten so quickly & totally used to the 3d soundstaging that's it's become almost impossible to listen to 44/16 on my high end system!