Jeff Rowland Aeris and Playback Designs MPD-3

Just curious if anyone has heard both of these and their impressions of the difference. I am interested in picking up a standalone DAC and seriously considering between these two.

Heard the Aeris DAC recently and was impressed. Very warm and holographic sound, and would not have initially guessed it was a USB feed from from a Macbook.

I have never heard the MPD-3, but I have previously borrowed the flagship MPS-5 and quite enjoyed that as well.

Anyone heard both able to offer any thoughts?
insomniac928
Thanks for the info Ghasley, much appreciated. I strongly agree with your views on the prospects of downloadable music. I personally have a couple SACDs, not a huge collection by any means, but enough for it to give it some consideration.

On that note, have you heard the new Meitner DAC? I heard the flagship EMM player at a dealer in the past and frankly preferred the PD MPS-5, although my experience with them was on different systems. But the DAC looks like a competitor in the MPD-3 segment.

I do appreciate PD gear as impressive pieces of tech. DSD processing does look like a nice bit of future proofing. The Aeris is in the running, however, because I do use a Rowland amp at present.

Thanks again.
Haven't heard the Meitner DAC. I didn't search it out for 2 reasons: it does not process DSD and the designer of the Playback gear Andreas Koch designed all of the Meitner gear(as well as other landmark gear for Studer Revox and Sony, among others) until he ventured out again and started Playback Designs. I figure he knew what was on Meitners drawing board since he was doing the designing!

I don't mean to sound like a Playback Designs Fan Boy nor do I intend to imply that I have heard it all, on the contrary, i don't feel qualified to render any advice worth more than you are presently paying for it!

Good luck, you really can't go wrong with any of the group you are considering....it really boils down to feature set and your needs. We are way past the price point with this field where you wonder if they will sound good....they will all perform very well....horses for courses as they say.

Peace.

Ghasley,

Thank you for sharing info on the Playback Designs MPD 3
When did it start shipping and what is the current price?

Currently I am using the ExaDevice's ExaU2I and their lo-Tech DSDDIFF player mated with Korg Audiogate for 1 bit/5.6448mhz DSD playback; a stable DIY solution.

It's great to see other product options emerging for DSD playback.
DRSpence, it is my understanding they quietly began shipping in early July and I received mine a few weeks later. The Audiogate software is pretty cool, it came with my Korg MR2000S digital DSD recorder and is pretty darn simple to use for sample rate conversion/editing. I believe Korg has recently released Audiogate as freeware. I use my Korg exclusively to record vinyl in DSD and while there may be easier ways to get/edit your vinyl to digital I couldnt be happier.

I agree with you that it is good to see the envelope getting pushed with regards to DSD and no ne knows the possibilities of DSD and digital better than Playback Designs' Andreas Koch based on his broad experience of being at ground zero of many of digitals most important developments.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.
List price on the MPS-3 is $8,500 and the MPD-3 is $6,500 as of this writing. I paid full list and I would do it over again in a heartbeat. The MPD-3 is a stone cold bargain.