cd player or computer with dac

i have put together a system which consists of the dartzeel cht8550 integrated,ascendo system f speakers with the arcam cd17 but i know the cd player is the weak link i shall be grateful if some one could help me decide the source and cables for the same and does a source really make the difference
jasbirnandra
Audioengr: With all due respect Steve, you could not be more wrong. The DAC IS the ONLY thing that is important. If the DAC is designed correctly than very little else matters (hard drives, jitter, computer power supplies, etc.

To prove this point we intentionally run a $400 Toshiba laptop at the trade shows with a stock USB cable and a cheap ($75 USB hard drive). Reports from all the magazines and those attendees have been incredibly positive.

Please understand that I do agree with you, IF the DAC is not designed and built correctly only then the items you mention have much greater importance.

I also agree with Steve that there is definitely no need for a CD transport any more.

Jonathan Tinn
Playback Designs
Jonathan - We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Just read the last 3 or 4 reviews of DACs done by Steven Stone in TAS. When he says a $1.5K DAC sounds virtually identical to a $7K DAC when driven from a low-jitter USB converter source, I believe him.

I never said that the DAC did not make a difference, but it is really second order compared to the effect of the master clock, particularly with higher end DACs. Remember, I sell DACs too, but I believe in honesty with my customers.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Thanks Steve and Jonathan, you both agree that the CD transport is unnecessary. That has been the unresolved issue for many of us. Now, if we can just make the process of switching over a little less daunting...
"Slowly I turned...step by step...inch by inch...,"
Phaelon - I cannot speak for Jonathan, but I have a page dedicated to tips and recommendations for computer, S/W player, ripper, ripping drive etc. with many links on my website. I try to make it easy to get good results.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio