Apple to download 24 bit in iTunes?

"We've gone back now at Universal, and we're changing our pipes to 24 bit. And Apple has been great," Iovine said. "We're working with them and other digital services -- download services -- to change to 24 bit. And some of their electronic devices are going to be changed as well. So we have a long road ahead of us."

CNN

Hopefully they use 96khz if they go through with it.
james63
I just read about this myself on Gizmodo, and was curious what people thought about the article Why 24-bit Audio Will Be Bad For Users

I personally think 24Bit 96hz SACD rips played through my Wavelength DAC sound significantly better than regular old 16bit FLAC CD rips, but the author of the above article seems to think it will be a bad thing, what are you guys thoughts?
I don't, for one minute, believe that the record companies are doing this for the benefit of consumers. We've seen this before - trying to convince us that we need to replace our current music collection with CD and then SACD/DVD-A (although they dropped the ball on that one) and our movies with DVD and now Blu-Ray. There's also the possibility that the hardware vendors (Apple?) are hoping to cash in on sales of a whole new generation of players since they've run out of new features in the current players to keep people upgrading.

Then there's the issue I was griping about in another thread where the music industry thinks they need to charge more for the higher resolution format when, in actuality, they have to do more work to DOWNSAMPLE the music from the native format it's stored in.