Best USB DAC for 1000-1500?

I'm looking for input on which USB DACs to look at for 1000-1500 used. This would be a present for a relative who is currently using a budget Scott Nixon Chibi 2 in his rig. I was thinking a Wavelength Brick but any other DACs to consider? Thanks
latinsamba1
Without question or reservation I recommend the dbaudioblabs Tranquility USB DAC or the Tranquility SE USB DAC. Both have midrange's to die for. You can see excellent reviews of these DAC's by searching Audiogon chat

It's not just the DAC that matters, however. A good power cord and good USB cable are important as well. I suggest with the Tranquility a Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! USB cable. dbaudiolabs has a very good Essential SE cable as well.

I also strongly suggest that it's coupled with a MacMini computer. 2007-2008 (aka 2,1) Minis are good, but the better way to go is the 2010 Mac Mini. A good peripheral firewire hard drive is important. I suggest a look at the Oyen Minipro 750 GB or 1 TB using the bus for power.

Give Eric Hider a call at dbaudiolabs. I've found him to be most interested in constructive customer service and advice and not just a bunch of sales hype. His experience and breadth of knowledge is very helpful.

I have to tell you that I wouldn't be contributing to this thread about the Tranquility DACs if I wasn't totally and completely pleased in all respects.

:) listening,

Ed
Latinsamba,

For whatever reason Wavelength DACs don't get a lot of talk here. Don't know why, as the guy behind it and the technology he developed are highly respected here. The Brick is probably a good choice. You know this is USB input only, correct? It is asynchronous USB input, which is quite important (vs. just USB).

Another good candidate would be Wyred4Sound DAC1 (I beleive $1000) or DAC2 ($1500). The DAC2 has a built in preamp too, and a host of inputs beyond asynch USB. Very well reviewed.

The Tranquility gets very good comments here, albeit always from the same few people. The manufacturer discloses no info about he's doing, so can't comment. I have not heard this unit. I know it has only USB input, but I don't know if it's asynch.

I hope this helps.
HRT Streamer is inexpensive and great. Asynch USB. I'm not using special cables, and it sounds great. I haven't compared with any of the more expensive brands, but I'm not compelled to either.