DAC with a Balance Control - Does on exist?

Are you aware of a DAC that has a balance control?

My stereo does not use a preamp. The music travels from my hard drive via Ethernet to my DAC to my Amps. My DAC (Benchmark DAC1) has a volume control. The only other control I would like is a balance control. I would prefer not to buy a preamp to get that.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Henry

My other gear: two Classé  CA-M400 amps, two B&W 800D speakers
Henry

My other gear: two Classé  CA-M400 amps, two B&W 800D speakers
hdomke
I have been trying to get by without traditional volume and balance functions for to long to remember. I like to be able to compensate for program variations, room acoustic differences, and different listener positions. As well as the amount of people in the space. What is worse is the volume controls, where you turn them around and around, and you cannot get the sound to drop down a notch.

Hay, I blast it, and when I need to turn it down I want to reach for that rotary volume control and go from three o’clock, to eight o’clock and shut that thing down, in one simple turn. I do not have time to look for a remote to hit the mute. I know where the volume control is every time, and I want to do it with one twist. The same thing when I want it loud, I want to twist that thing until it sounds right to me at that moment. Or when someone enters a room. I want to decide by touch like we use to, how loud I can keep it and still hear as much as I want instantaneously.

I do not know what these manufactures are thinking with remotes that let you move, but do not let you change the balance. If you are the only person in the room it should follow you anyway.

I guess when the old lady has you chained to the bed frame, a system that you listen to with your head in one stationary spot might work out until she gets back. But, if you happen to be able to move around, nothing beats a balance control for hearing the same volume from both ears from anyplace within ear shot of your speakers. Even if the source is mono.

One thing I liked about the volume control on my old rig was that it had no notch. No notch on the knob, how could it have a notch, only your ear’s knows where the center is?
Sumflow, I agree wiht you 100%. I think the reason for the encoder type volume ocntrols is that they are easy and cheap to implement with a remote control. An other option is a motorized pot, which when used directly without the remote, is a direct position correlates with volume knob. When used with the remote, there is a button for up and a button for down, at whatever speed the motor feels like turning. They can overshoot due to momentum. I suppose the perfect solution would have a knob on the remote and a motor on the preamp that slved the 2 together. You would then need a motor on the remote to move its knob if you turned the knob on the preamp. This would be very difficult to implement. I hate detents too.
Yes - I just got the Wadia 121 DAC yesterday, and I can confirm that it has both balance and volume controls (on the remote only).
Mateored, I installed my Wadia 121 just last week and have been more than happy with the wonderful performance. I'm curious if you've noticed rather loud relay switching when the DAC when changes in sample rate occur?