Vibration Theory - Isolate or Drain?

Given that a CD Player or Transport has quite a bit of internally generated energy from the motor, is it best ti deal with vibration issues by coupling the player to a surface with spikes or cones? or decouple the player from the surface beneath it with spongy materials? Any consensus on the best approach here?
pubul57
Playpen, The nanomounts are placed (ie. glued) onto the cartridge and then the cartridge is attached to the tonearm. The triple points are on the cart with the single point touching the tonearm (you must not overtighten the cart to the tonearm). This is just like the system you currently use to drain vibration from your Rega's plinth only in miniature. With the tonearm you place the nanomounts between the base and the arm mounting board. This is not an easy process but I felt it improved the sound clearity (ie. reduced resonance)on my Clearaudio Champion Level Two and Unify Tonearm/ Ortofon 2M Black.

If you like your present rig and plan to stay with the tonearm I believe the nanomount system is worth it. I've tried tweaks from setup guru's over the years and I have had the best results from Pierre Sprey of Mapleshade. He has many no cost tweaks on the website and some that you can purchase. I believe that before you spend alot of money on a new cart you should try this solution and it has a money back guarantee. Mapleshaderecords.com
Joe Grado in 1984 supplied his $50 cartridge with a free small triangular mount with 3 small protrusions that set between the the body and the headshell. Better coupling more sound.
Tom
I have recently coupled my system so that all components are tied to my rack to drain and WOW it does make a serious improvement. It's called RTS Coupling from Audio Horizons. Over they last 20 years I have tried many ways of controlling vibrations including Herbies, Nordost, Eichman Toppers and many more. The improvement from coupling is 20 fold to any other device I have ever used. I only listen to CD's and what I have noticed is more micro information, more body, sense of ease, more dynamics, more of everything good and nothing bad. A very inexpensive way of making a HUGE improvement to any system.
Addressing your initial question about isolating/damping CDP against vibratipn, I do both. In the few CDPs over the past 23 years, I’ve dampened the chassis with rope caulk or Mortite. I started using Mortite on the underside of my Denon t-t back in the late 70s with good results, so I was anxious to use that on the CDP. IME, all aspects of the sound improved. I also isolate the CDP using Symposium Rollerblocks which further improve the sonics.

Try the rope caulk. It will cost less than $10 to do your whole player.if you don’t like the sonics,simply remove it.
The Mortite idea is interesting. Any concerns with internal temperatures inside a chassis, especially with tubed equipments? Or better to just use on the undercarriage?