Vibration Theory - Isolate or Drain?

Given that a CD Player or Transport has quite a bit of internally generated energy from the motor, is it best ti deal with vibration issues by coupling the player to a surface with spikes or cones? or decouple the player from the surface beneath it with spongy materials? Any consensus on the best approach here?
pubul57
Post removed 
Isolation only exists in the absence of matter. Come to think of it with no matter there is no existence. Drain the vein..the method is the magic. Quadruple entendre's may apply. Tom
I use both approaches in my system. My belief is that coupling (i.e. draining) works best with speakers, while decoupling (i.e. isolating) works best with just about everything else. That is 50% science, 50% hunch.

Don't ask me for the science.

Bryon
Some may find this discussion draining and isolating at the same time;-) This is not just an attempt at a little dark holiday humor, but actually a preview of my experience described below.

I have tried both approaches with my CDP and find: 1. there is a clear difference in sound, and 2. for me at least, draining clearly sounds better. But wait, I also use isolation...

I have my CDP resting on hardwood blocks on a very substantial maple platform, bypassing the stock rubber feet in an effort to "drain" vibrations away from the CDP and into the heavy platform below. Placement of the blocks makes a difference, and I have found placing one directly under the transformer is critical to improving performance. But I then "isolate" the platform from the supporting shelf and the rest of the room with sorbothane dots to "protect" the CDP-block-platform "system" from external vibrations resulting from, among other things, the occasional loud music passage.

I have tried pretty much every permutation of these components and some others, and like the sound of my current arrangement best. I would describe the CDP sound as relatively more clear, articulated, dynamic and fast. In contrast with the stock rubber feat or sorbothane directly under the player, the sound turns soft and a bit mushy. It is actually surprising how much difference these vibration control measures make - it is not in the least bit subtle. I use the same approach with my turntable that I do with my CDP, but find no noticable advantage with isolating or draining vibration from my SS amp and tuner.

My speakers are also on platforms, but these are on blocks, spikes or Bluetack directly on the floor in an attempt to get the vibration out of those boxes as quickly and thoroughly as possible.

As for the microscope analogy - I worked with microscopes for many years, and yes, vibration is the enemy. But purely optical microscopes do not generate any internal vibration of their own, so there is no need to "drain" it away from the lenses - it is all about keeping vibration out and isolation is the name of the game. Lights are often attached or driven by outboard transformers to keep any vibrations they might generate away from the scope body. Scanning electron microscopes are a different story, and one I am less familiar with. But I digress...
i've found with my lowly oppo 970 that experimenting with brass placement on cabinet top of tray and vibrapods under really enhances sound out of that $150.player.