Pc to DAC Configuration

Hello all,
Presently, my DAC is located next to my IMac Pc.From there I'm running 30'
inter connect cable to the preamp which is residing on the main audio rack.
My question is: Would it be sonically beneficial to move the DAC back to main rig , so I can use my high end audio cable and thus eliminate r f distortion
that's associated with such long runs?
My proposed configuration would be: IMac>12' USB>Bel Canto 24/96 USB Link>12'S/PDIF>DAC.
Will this configuration be better than my current set up?
Thanks all of you for your response.
Regards,
Rod
rodvujovicsr
The USB interface on the BelCanto is Adaptive, not Async, so it is sensitive to jitter. I had a similar interface (CEntrance) in my older products. Need to use a good quality 1-1.5m cable.

If you used a newer async USB converter, then you could go with a cheap 16-foot USB cable and shorten your analog interconnect. This would be an improvement in jitter and minimize analog degradation and it would support 176.4 as well as 192.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Post removed 
Transparent is now saying that their new USB cable can be used over lengths exceeding what is normally the maximum for USB devices. (This is possible because in audio the send-ack protocol for block mode transfers doesn't happen.) It's also not crazy expensive like some Transparent cables.

The was a recent Positive Feedback Online report on a number of USB to SPDIF adapters, several of which were async. (I'll also note that Steve N., who posted above sells one. I don't currently own any of Steve's products, but his products have an excellent reputation. Also note that Wavelength has a async USB to SPDIF converter now, too.)

If I was in your shoes, I think I would try running USB the entire distance from your computer to your other gear. The USB would go into an async converter that was right at the DAC. (The Audiophilleo converter is especially interesting because it is small and light enough to be connected directly to your DAC's SPDIF in, with no cable. But in any case, you could use a very short SPDIF cable.) Then use good quality 1-meter interconnects from the DAC to your preamp or amp.
How would you describe the sound of this plainly audible jitter?

In my system, the reduction of jitter resulted in three audible improvements: Increased perceived resolution, improved imaging focus, and the removal of high frequency harshness. So, to answer your question, the sound of jitter in my system was decreased perceived resolution, diminished imaging focus, and the presence of high frequency harshness.

If you are wondering how I know that these improvements were attributable to the reduction of jitter...they resulted from the addition of an Empirical Audio reclocker - its raison d'etre is the reduction of jitter.

Bryon
Post removed