The CD player is dead.......

I am still waiting for someone to explain why a cd player is superior to storing music on a hard drive and going to a dac. Probably because you all know it's not.

Every cd player has a dac. I'll repeat that. Every cd player has a dac. So if you can store the ones and zeros on a hard drive and use error correction JUST ONCE and then go to a high end dac, isn't that better than relying on a cd player's "on the fly" jitter correction every time you play a song? Not to mention the convenience of having hundreds of albums at your fingertips via an itouch remote.

If cd player sales drop, then will cd sales drop as well, making less music available to rip to a hard drive?
Maybe, but there's the internet to give us all the selection we've been missing. Has anyone been in a Barnes and Noble or Borders lately? The music section has shown shrinkage worse than George Costanza! This is an obvious sign of things to come.....

People still embracing cd players are the "comb over" equivalent of bald men. They're trying to hold on to something that isn't there and they know will ultimately vanish one day.

I say sell your cd players and embrace the future of things to come. Don't do the digital "comb over".
devilboy
Mlsstl-the numbers are irrelevant. They are nothing but propaganda from the MP3/Computer Music Storage crowd, not to mention the Computer Industry itself. They are an excuse
not to improve on Music Storage. The old line is that the consumer is not interested in Sound Quality. I don't know what the exact numbers are, but they seem to think that they are in a huge majority. They believe that Music should be less about Sound Quality and more about convenience. They have apparently painted a target on the back of the CD Format. They apparently believe that it sounds too good (sic) and it is not convenient enough! They want it gone,that is for sure! You can't even communicate with them unless you argue with them on their level with their own propaganda. I don't believe their crap, but their propaganda is the only language they understand. Thus, the misinformation about the facts. They believe that 90% of Consumers are not interested in Sound Quality, as devine providence from God, an 11th Commandment. An order to eliminate all non-believers and their competing Formats. Convenience, above all other conciderations, is their Holy Jihad! They are proud of that 90%, and they use it like a sledgehammer to get their own way. Industry is more than happy to take more of their money and give them less in return. Not only are they more than happy to donate to the cause, they would gladly donate their life and soul to the cause. I would say that their Industry is more like the ORI from the Stargate T.V. Series. Their Industry gets its power from the belief of its followers. Down with all things of Performance or Quality, they must be purged in the Holy fires of convenience. If you are an Audiophile, and part of the 10%(from their World view, NOT mine), you are part of a slight inconvenience to them. They get REAL upset about that, watch your back. If you listen to CD's-BLASPHEMY- you can run, but you can't hide from them. They aren't ashamed or embarrassed about it, they are quite proud of it. In fact they probably enjoy the power they gain by me sending out the warning, putting the fear of the God of Convenience into everyone. Be forwarned, he is a Vengeful God that shows no mercy! Resistance is futile, we will service them with the upmost convenience! How did I do guys, was that good enough? Was that enough Fire and Brimstone?
I know that Books burn at FARENHEIT 451. What temperature do CD's melt at? The Computer Industry starts calling their Convenience Minions, "FIREMEN", we are in deep #*!t!
My apologies to Mr. Bradbury!
I like to read the liner notes too, that's why I keep my lp's. If I antagonized anyone, it was not my intent. Just making an observation. Remember, I'm chuckling at myself too!
Devilboy,
Don`t forget that you still need to use some transport to load and rip your CD-s in to your hard drive. This all involves additional jitter and other problems. What transport you use to load your music in to HD? Cheap plastic PC, MAC or some state of the art Esoteric transport?
Egads! It's like telling the Borg, "thanks, but no-thanks, I prefer keeping my CD's if you don't mind"! Just before the implants ravage your body. There is nothing like being absorbed, and losing all sense of individuality. All of this while in the background someone prattles on about PC's,MAC'S, and Transports. Glorious oblivion to any humanity or mercy. Listening to automaton's on the way to becoming one yourself. Mindless, Spiritualess, absence any heart or emotion. Apparently the War between Man and Machine was fought decades ago, and we lost. The Enemy has met and defeated us, and now we are slowly being converted into them! We are ending up with wires and circuits where our Hearts and Minds should be. Sad!