Peachtree Audio iDecco & iPod/iPhone Compatibility

Just recently bought the Peachtree iDecco to set up a bedroom system. I'm feeding it mostly Apple Lossless files through my iPhone 3G and CDs through an Oppo DVD player via coax. Along with my Totem Mites, it's making great music! I think when I move to house with a bigger bedroom in the near future, I'll add a separate amp and use the iDecco mainly as an iPod dock, DAC, and preamp. One quick question, so far based on my extensive Google search, I've seen people using it as a preamp with amps such as PS Audio Trio A100 and Jolida JD-1501P. Any other good reasonably priced power amps people have tried with iDecco? Please post.

Anyway, the main purpose for starting this thread is to post compatibility result with various models of iPod and iPhone. Here's what's listed on Peach Audio website:

"Made for iPod Touch (1st & 2nd generation) iPod Classic 80G, 120G, 160G only, Nano 2nd-5th generation"

Well, I don't have any of the models listed above, currently I have a iPod Nano 1st generation and iPhone 3G, neither one is listed as compatible. I figured why not give it a try anyway. Here's what I found. 1st generation iPod Nano did not work at all, when I placed it on the dock, "Okay to disconnect" message popped up on the iPod screen, pressing any of the buttons would not do anything. One the other hand, iPhone 3G (with iOS 4.01) worked! When I first docked it, a message box would pop up stating that the device is not optimized for iPhone; however, I was able to close the message box and lauch iPod app without any problem. Music would play smoothly, and I was able to use the iDecco remote to start, pause, skip forward and skip backward.

Hopefully this information is helpful to someone since I searched extensively on Google and different websites and couldn't find any info about compatibility between iDecco and iPhone before this.

Please post here if you had tried iDecco and any other models of iPhone and iPod not listed above. For example, has anyone tried it with the original iPhone, iPhone 3GS, or iPhone 4? What about 3rd generation iPod touch (the new 32GB and 64GB models)?

Thanks.
happybob
Naim UnitiQute seems like an interesting product, especially with the build-in internet radio. Not sure if it's $1000 better than the Peachtree though. Right now I can do internet radio with my iPhone. One interesting I saw on the Naim UnitiQute website was that it's supposed to extract digital data from the iPod through a standard usb port (Apple authenticated), using a standard usb-iPod connector cable that comes with every iPod. This is quite interesting indeed. If it were that easy to implement, why aren't more manufacturers of usb dacs coming out with it? Why are we spending all these money for the Wadia iTransport or the iDecco? why can't the Peachtree implement the iPod digital extraction through its USB port of the dac portion?
I've wondered that myself. I read somewhere in my Alpine car stereo manual that when using the iPod cable, it head unit uses its own DACs. I think they're claiming to do what these things are doing. The head unit is about 5 years old, and isn't a high end model.

Maybe hifi companies ignored the digital out of iPods due to arrogence/ignorance?

The Naim DAC and UnitiQute's handling of the iPod makes the most sense to me. Use a wire so that you can hold the iPod, rather than trying to mess with the click wheel while docked. I didn't buy the iTransport due mainly to that (and that its pretty buggy with different iPod models).

It interesting how the UnitiQute and Naim DAC have the iPod digital out wire, yet the Uniti (more expensive than the UnitiQute) doesn't. I think the Uniti was released before the other 2, so maybe that's why. Can't see how they wouldn't update it on the current ones if that's the case though.

To see if the UnitiQute is $1k better, I need to hear both. I've loved everything Naim has made that I've heard. Even though it'll be their entry level, if its got that Naim soul, it'll be very hard to beat. I guess time will tell.
Hi guys, I'm using the idecco with a McCormack DNA 125 amp running my Totem Forest. The idecco sounds just fine by its self but I needed a little more power. This system is in my living room. I'm pretty happy but curious about how other amps sound with the idecco. I'm using a 160gb ipod classic.
Hi Rockn, if possible, can you describe the difference in sound between driving the Forest directly with iDecco and driving them with iDecco + McCormack? i'm also a huge fan of Totem. i own the Mite, Staff, and a surround system with the Arros and Dreamcatchers.
Hello Happybob

I got the very first iDecco in Japan a few months ago. I use my iDecco two ways simultaneously, both with really good results. I use an iMac or iPod as source, but when guests come over they like to plug in their iPhone, and I've never seen it not fit or have any problems. Even mp3's from an iPhone sound great through that iDecco DAC.

I send output from my iMac via Toslink (optical cable), or from my iPod parked directly on top or via a VERY convenient extension cable I bought online.

My iDecco amp outputs go directly to Quad 12L bookshelves on my computer desktop, which sounds warm, clear, and detailed, and the combination images wonderfully.

But the magic happens with my floorstanders, Yamaha NS-1000X, which are set up with iDecco used as DAC only, bypassing preamp, output to a Luxman pure class A 550 from 1981. That sound is super-detailed and very sweet indeed, but totally unforgiving of sharp or harsh recordings.

I use both of these systems through the iDecco at the same time while varying the loudness balance between the Quads and the Yamahas, or one or the other set as I like. Great sound and great fun.

Kbarkamian: To me the iDecco sound is rather flat and analytical, but extremely detailed, sort of like Accuphase amps. I think flat and analytical as a source is good, because you can modify it as you wish. I modify the amplified flat, analytical iDecco output through warm and sparkly bookshelf speakers on my desktop (Quad 12L), and sweeten and warm the direct DAC output sound through my class A Luxman amp to very neutral and detailed Yamaha floorstanding speakers. I also use the bass knobs on my amp and Yamahas to improve the poor bass provided by the iDecco.
These are not perfect systems, but both sound comparable to MUCH more expensive systems I've compared them with A/B.