Wadia 170i Ipod Dock Vs Onkyo ND S1 Ipod Dock

I had both the Wadia 170i Ipod dock and the Onky ND-S1 Ipod Docks which both take pure quality digital sound directly off the Ipod/Itouch and bypass poorer sounding analog output.

I found that I didn't like the lack of an on light with the Wadia and the way it seemed to stop working with even a slight transient variation in current such as caused by changing the output downstream on my preamp, etc.

I found that the Onkyo sounds every bit as good and has an on light and a superior remote, and all of this for about half the price.

The Onkyo is hard to find but can be imported from Japan as it is not yet marketed in the US yet. The power supply that comes with it works perfectly with out USA 110-120 60Hz current.
128x128plangco
Since the onkyo you bought is a European model, how will you deal with the different voltage requirement? Asking as potentially interested buyer of the onkyo also. Could you post later how it turns out for you, sonically and user friendly? Thanks.

Joe in Mobile
Hello fellow Audiogoners,

Twelve exhibits at the 2010 California Audio Show will have the Wadia 170iTransport connected to high-end DACs. So bring your iPods and iPhones.

www.caaudioshow.com

Thank you.

Constantine Soo
Yes, the USB camera adaptor bypasses the internal DAC for the iPad. It does not work for the iPod. Sorry for replying late.
The new Onkyo ND S1 idock is a good replacement for the Wadia 170 (takes direct digital info like the Wadia) and appears to a tad better at half the price. It can be purchased from a seller in Japan on ebay (where I got mine). It holds an apple ipod/itouch (has inserts for different models), has a better remote control, is smaller, has an on switch, doesn't stop working from light current transients like the Wadia.

It also offers usb input for optional computer input, as well as optical and coaxial audio outputs, and a optional video output.

And did I mention, it sounds beautiful. By the way, the Monarchy classic DIP which I put in line with it, improved the sound even more.
There is no problem adapting the Japanese 110V ipod dock as it uses a variable power adapter which plugs into our standard sockets. The DC current that comes out of it is identical to US current and does not affect the sound in any way.