Blue ray player with good audio

Any suggestions on a blue ray player with excellent sound? I have a lot of dvd concerts, some standard DVDs and some blue ray. I am looking for a player that has above average audio.
Ag insider logo xs@2xpal

Craig_hoch, I had a DV-980h and the BDP-83 is superior in every way.

Strateahed, It's a BDP-83 and NOT SE. Dan found the SE offers a slight advantage in detail and resolution over the non SE because of the superior SABRE DAC.

I bought the Oppo for an occasional BluRay but the sound was so poor in all formats that I stopped using it. The reasons I decided on Modwright is only Dan's mod replaces the whole analog output stage plus I'm familiar with his work.

Good luck!
I decided to go with a DAC. I read some decent reviews of the Valab and for the price it is worth a try. Thanks for all the input.
If you are using an external DAC, and do not listen to much SACD, is there any reason to get an Oppo bdp-83se as opposed to plain bdp-83? I was under the impression the Sabre DAC's in the SE would be of importance only if using the analog outs. Am I wrong?

Neal
Nglazer, the power supply in the 83SE and the Exemplar modified 83 are stronger. In my experience the Oppo BDP-83 was not the equal to many of the other players used with digital out. That is not true of the Exemplar, however.

I persist is saying that the chip set in the BDP-83 is superior to that in the SE. I think because it is a single bit dac. Certainly on sacds it is exceptional.