Which is the best cd player under $10k?

I am trying to find the best cd player under $10k (new or used) either a current or recent offering which has a warm, vinyl-like sound, wonderful holographic imagining, large soundstage, nice details & beautiful tonality without being hyper detailed, etched and which avoids the two extremes; cold and analytical to too warm and syrupy?

Choices so far have been Accuphase dp-500, Audio Research cd-8 (but lacks up to the minute digital inputs), Playback Designs MPS-5, EAR Acute & Luxman DU-80. Given the many choices, i'm pulling my hair out. Let me know your thoughts!
melbguy1
Karelfd: My pleasure and yes the unit is a GREAT player and a fantastic transport.
03-02-10: Audiofun, thanks for your advice. I agree it would take a supreme dac to improve on AMR's multibit dac. Multibit theory pre-dates Delta Sigma theory which was embodied (to the endth degree) in the Vimak DS-1800mk2 dac. The Vimak is phenominal, so I was pleased to hear AMR offer the option of a high grade digital out. I actually spoke to Vince at AMR about it & he said the RCA SPIDF output they have adopted is exceptionally good to the extent it would be hard to distinguish between the cd77 as an integrated player or transport (assuming all things are equal).

Following on from your comments, I agree to do justice to a player like the AMR, it's time I retired my Standesign rack & invested in a reference rack...food for thought!

Of the players mentioned, the PD MPS5, Ayon CD5, Audio Note & Accuphase players I felt best match what i'm after, but again I have to agree with Audiofun...the AMR is in another league.
Cool, I am glad that will work for you. As an owner of a Bidat and the DCC-1 I (and others LOL :) I know what it is like to have a special dac that you don't want to part with. Even though I believe the future is 24 bit 96khz+ downloads there are literally billions of CDs out there and so that litte shiny disc is going to be around for a long long time and if you love your dac it behoves you to hang on to it :)

Racks can and do make a big difference. Now have said that I am certainly not naive enough to fall for the marketing hype of some in the world of audio, but there are some very solid non resonant stands out there to be had...for less than the cost of a used auto :)
03-05-10: Audiofun. I agree with your sentiment. The option of a high grade digital out with the CD77 is good for those of us who own a classic reference dac they are (understandably) reluctant to part with! With that said, a-b testing the AMR's dac vs the Vimak should be VERY interesting! (note: both are 16 bit/48kHz & use two c-core transformers).

The provision for both SPDIF & USB inputs, albeit at the dac's max sampling rate of 48kHz, are welcome. And according to AMR, they are currently working on adding "Made for Ipod/Made for Iphone" certification, so in the not too distant future it looks like the cd77 will be an even more versatile integrated player!

ps; I agree there are some good value reference racks out there...but said rack *will* cost me as much as that used auto!!!
I looked at Mapleshade which looked like it would be a good deal until I configured my stand and got sticker shock when the price was quoted to me. I think i am going with Steve Blinn; his stuff looks great, is solid and I love his not bull approach. None of this... "I only use metal whose grain is aligned with the earths magnetic field lines ...during summer solstice" crap. I am of course exaggerating but I get so tired of all the marketing hype. Mr. Blinn just seems to offer a solid product at a fair price :) We shall see...