help me make sonos better

you all know sonos does not serve the purity of detail/refinement market but it does do a fabulous job satisfying wife, kids, and even serious listener's who are working on "honey do" lists...

but there must be a way to make it better. read about the cullen mods and external dacs and am ready to dive into the water but for the life of me can't find the ultimate pool. can/will someone lead me to the right place? what and how much $ would be nice to know as well. many thanks....
bobf1717

Soundgasm, that's good to hear. Btw, the upgrade kit is actually a jumper. I believe you can set it back to "classic" mode at 44.1kHz, try it too with the unmodded Sonos player as you may find the non-upsampled reproduction more to your liking.

Thanks in advance for your comparative feedback.
(Slightly OT, but is there an accepted way to link to photographs here? it saves new guys like me so much time to be able to see the objects we're talking about without having to manage a separate parallel image search.)
OK Bobf1717, it's time for me to digest the comments from this thread and move on with my Sonos system. I did a bit of extra research on DAC's before coming to a decision. I had a lengthy conversation with Benchmark and feel their DAC1 USB is the way to go for me. They have a reclocking feature called "Jitter-Immune UltraLock™" which they claim eliminates the need to do a reclock mod to the Sonos or any other source for that matter. It also eliminates the need for a fancy cable between the Sonos and the DAC.

So here's where I'm at. I have a standard non-modded Sonos ZP-90, and I have just purchased a Benchmark Dac1 USB. If I need more, I can always get the Sonos modded as a next step. The Benckmark DAC is said to be on the cool side, but I'm going into a tube preamp which should warm it a bit. It gets me a start at a good price point and I feel with a good chance of meeting my expectations.

Will it be as good as my Vinyl, probably not but I wasn't expecting it to be. For me, Vinyl is still my primary music source. Digital, I want convenience at a reasonable quality level. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Paul