Why are there so many Mac users?

I am gradually thinking of going the all-digital route, and to that effect I've started reading a lot of threads about all-digital systems.
One thing I noticed is that many audiophiles with such systems are using either a Mac Mini, iMac or other Mac products.
Are there any major reasons for doing so? What advantages do Macs have over PCs (aside from looks)?
I am trying to soak in all the information I can gather on the subject, so thanks for enlightening me!

Patrick
pat70
I am a Windows software developer .Net/WPF/WCF/C#....etc. and I use Macs at home for anything other than making money!

They are FAR FAR FAR MORE stable, more intuitive and handles multitasking infinitely better. As a digital source it is better than my former Wadia 7 which was one of my favorite transports of all time.

I use Amarra with iTunes and I have not yet heard the rival. Now speaking of the costs, consider how many time cheap hardware on pc's has to be replaced. I have had the Mac 2.1 (mid 2007 version) running in my bedroom system (Meitner Bidat with Plus mod connected with a glass Tos-Link cable feeding a solid state amp of my own design) and let me tell you...not a problem in over 2 years. I control it all from my iPhone with the free 'Remote' app and I also use 'Airmouse Pro' so I don't even have to use a seperate keyboard or mouse. It is connected to my plasma with a $9.00 DVI to HDMI converter-dongle.

This is why I laugh at all these audio manufacturers trying to sell you a $4k or in some cases a $20k device that can't do a fraction of my $900.00 mac mini (I added 3 gig of mem for a total of 4 gig (although the 2007 mini can only recognize 3.01 gig of mem, using same sized mem chips results in faster page-ins and outs)).

Buy a mac mini and a iPhone or iTouch and you will never look back. I have archived my entire CD collection and yes iTunes can and does do bit-perfect transfers. I listen using AIFF as I find it sounds a bit better than AAC although I can only really tell on my home systems, not on my iPhone (with earplugs).

Plus is looks Fantastic...
Hope this helps.
Post removed 
Thanks everyone for the "crash-course" in Mac use! I already own a PC, so the Mac would only be used for music (at first!).
"Disadvantages include: Software range is narrower than PC. EAC is a PC-only ripping software that is arguably the best available (better error-correction than itunes). "
Could I rip with EAC on the PC, store the files on an extarnal HD, and have the Mac play the tunes? It might be a pretty simple question, but I'm still learning, and with your help, I am making great strides!

Patrick
1. Ease of use.
2. Iphone remote.
3. Competitive Sonics to PC.
4. Ipod compatibility.
5. Whole house integration.
As someone who builds his own Windows-based PC's, which have always worked out very well for me, I nevertheless second the comments offered above about Mac's being much more user friendly, and the more practical choice for many people.

Re the comments about lack of stability and poor performance in Windows-based PC's, though, my feeling is that there are three major reasons for that:

1)Windows-based computers built by the major manufacturers are typically delivered with bloated software configurations resulting in large numbers of useless processes running in the background. That can be remedied by reformatting and re-installing all of the software, but doing so obviously requires significant time and some expertise.

2)One way in which the major manufacturers of Windows-based pc's try to keep selling prices as competitive as possible is to offer default hardware configurations which are underpowered (too little RAM; slower cpu's, etc).

3)The fact that most users are not aware of, or don't have the time for, the fundamentals of proper computer maintenance and good computing practices (as necessary for Windows-based machines). See my post dated 11-22-09 in this thread for a list of what I think that means. As I said in summarizing that post:
I have five Windows XP computers in my house, 3 desktops (which I built myself), and 2 laptops (which I reformatted and reinstalled the software on immediately after purchase, to get rid of the crapware that they are inevitably delivered with). These computers range in age from 1 year to 6 years. Every one of them works very fast, very stably, and as well as when it was new. And I have never had to do a re-install of the operating system on any of them.... Obviously all of this will be impractical for many computer users, but my point is that the performance degradation of Windows computers over time, that is often reported, is both explainable and avoidable.
What do I get in return for the time and effort I invest in these Windows machines, relative to what a Mac will offer? Mainly more speed and performance per dollar (which assumes greatly increased importance if the machine is used for computationally intensive applications such as video editing, which I do); much better customizability to my own requirements; and much broader compatibility with third-party programs, including some that are necessities to me.

It's ironic, though, that the much less user-friendly kind of computer has the much larger installed user base.

Regards,
-- Al