Amarra for iTunes at RMAF...

As my listening habits are split about 70% from iTunes and 30% vinyl I was pretty excited to see Stereomojo report on the new Amarra software for iTunes that can increase the sound quality of your digital music.

http://www.stereomojo.com/Rocky%20Mountain%20Audio%20Fest%202009%20Show%20Report%20/RockyMountainAudioFest2009ShowReport.htm

I was somewhat less excited to see that the price tag on this software add-on is almost $1k. Has anyone heard the Amarra software and have thoughts on if it's worth this price? Are there any similar products out there for a more reasonable price?

Happy listening!
jmleonard400
Blindjim, you are uninformed about Apple's share of the market for computer over $1000. http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/07/apple-nabs-91-of-premium-computer-market-in-june.ars

Has it occurred to you that it might be far easier to design a program such as Amarra for Macs? USB2 outputs are available on Macs, but many would argue that Firewire is superior, even with Wavelength's new asynchronous software. Finally, this is largely professional gear going for the best possible solutions and not overly concerned about the price.
Antipodes_audio- If you're interested in a Legato, I suggest you get an order in. The first production run won't last long.

Antipodes_audio
>

Better for the task? You’re not serious, are you? BTW I do live to find other uses for my PC, doesn’t everyone?

I wasn’t aware Mac were now considered the only computer from which audio playback should occur. Are you an audio dealer? I’ve heard tones like this before and that’s usually where they originate from.

It sounds as though you’re a tad biased towards Mac’s. Saying they are the best at anything is like picking SS over Tubes or vice versa, or selecting one DAC, CDP, Amp, etc., over another, and applying a likewise claim to it/them. Ridiculous. At the very best, it’s juvenile. At worst, it’s erudite.

You’ve taken my meaning out of context and your bias shows.If, in your own words, “it is about dedicating and optimising a computer to serving a digital music stream”, and only one path to that end is taken, then as I said, it is a very narrow one indeed.

That’s just plain fact.

We are after all, just talking about a ‘plug in’, and not a stand alone application… in fact a quite pricey & dedicated plug in with limited versatility.

I’m not discounting it’s worth or the energy which has gone into it’s construction or attempting to slight those involved in the process. Not one wit! No sir. Indeed I must congratulate them for this innovation.

But bits are just bits…. Regardless the name on the appliance, PC or Mac, bits are still bits. Not only should an alternative or collateral path for the greater bulk of the digital computing industry be delved into, the yield there would be exponentially larger… and I don’t care who you are, if you’re in business you want to appeal to the biggest slice of the buying public as you can, don’t you?

Maybe things have changed. Sorry. I was out sick that day.

There are some very valid reasons why the computing public at large doesn’t line up at the Apple Store every morning to buy a Mac. Nor do they alternatively inundate the PC vendors solely. PCs provide the same platform for development as do Macs… and have a far, far, larger ownership base. Additionally there are applications dedicated to, and specifically written for PCs which are not cross platform programs. I know of at least two. They are indispensable for just simple operation of a computer for some. Apple has long since ignored that erstwhile portion of the consumer base. Add in their proprietary peripheral sales arm of the show and it’s a bit off-putting… and lets not even talk about the price diffs between the opposed computing clubs…. And well, it is what it is. So be it.

To each their own. I’ll not slight one choice over another. One buys that which they wish to buy and for their own reasons. I’ve lived long enough to find out there is no singularly right way, and in fact there usually are several. Each just as viable as another. Their outcomes are the subjective cases.

Unless some propriaetary aspect of one of these platforms is being preyed/optimized upon, and the other is not delved into, I see it as perhaps just a shortcut is being taken. Definitely for now, maybe the future will yield some broadening of this perspective, and why I posed the question of when might this added platform development, or endeavor yet begin?

If indeed it is all about optimizing a computer to serving a digital music stream…. Then lets optimize ALL the computers to those same ends. And this just in, “We all do exactly that.”

Otherwise, it’s like making aftermarket parts for the XKE Jaguar only.
===== ====== ======
Heymikey
>

Actually no I wasn’t saying/thinking along the ASync DAC lines…. I looked over the website some already. The latter part of your comment on Amarra’s dedication solely to the Apple OS, & iTunes software is my point of friendly contention, inquiry, and possible confusion but not which DAC can be used.

I was prepared to give Amarra a go until I saw that Mac OS ONLY tid bit, and wondered privately than aloud, if iTunes will work on PC, admittedly poorer than some other media players do, then why wouldn’t the ‘mini player’ plug-in work with iTunes in a Window atmosphere?

I’m not keen on the Windows iTunes app at all. It’s bloated and consumes enormous gobs of CPU usage. I used it for the GUI and found it better than some previous media management applications as well as the ALAC file types had their own appeal.

There are much better ‘sounding’ media players for PC than iTunes irrespective of the file format being played. I use iTunes now only for streaming internet content… ie., web radio.

AS one other poster said already, I’m about the sound. Consequently if another bit of software is truly some killer app I’ll buy it… and was about too save for the Mac OS only caveat.
==== ===== ===== =====
Tbg
>

You have dissected the computers being purchased. I made no such distinction. I spoke of them all. Here there and everywhere! Professionally, and privately. Nationally and internationally. ALL of them.

Has it occurred to you that it might be far easier to design a program such as Amarra for Macs?

Absolutely. It was my initial thought and I’ve danced around that here as I didn’t want to be so dismissive of the Amarra developer’s abilities en masse. Thank you.

>

I wasn’t overly concerned about the price, just the (as you put it) developers taking the softer easier path.’

I’ll admit too, I’m not in the ‘price no object’ flotilla. Few are if you ask me. I have nothing against those whose pockets are bottomless. Yayyy them… or perhaps, you. It’s none of my concern either way nor anyone else’s I’d say. Attitude however is another matter. If rude, it belies one station and lessens the nature of the comment from one of altruism to one more aggressive.

I asked an honest question and implied nothing else. When one reads between the lines they then, become the author.
Blindjim, "bits are just bits" and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I guess that says it all in my opinion. In the meantime, I am buying a 13" Macbook with a SSD drive, Amarra, and a Weiss Minerva.

I expect that Window 7 will make MS competitive again, but we will have to wait and see.