digital front end to rival best vinyl?

i am interested in adding a 2 channel digital front end but no cd's. looking for storage/source, clock,dac and what ever else required, that can compete or better vinyl. is this possible? am i to early? i am a novice when it comes to digital front ends and am trying to learn as much as possible. all knowledgeable info will be greatly apriciated. i did hear a system at goodwins highend that sounded great but seemed to have very limited softwear. thanks
koegz
I am currently using a hard drive based Digital Front End. I use a Universal Player that Downmixes Multi-channel SACD/DVD-Audio to 2-Channels. It is the closest that I have heard any Silver Disk come to compete with Vinyl, and that includes the 2-Channel High Res. SACD/DVD-Audio Disks, no matter what the Sampling Rate. If it is Downloading, or Ripping of CD's to put in Memory, I would make Damn sure that any System was Multi-Channel capable. This is not to reproduce four distinct Channels (which is something you could do), but to provide the means for a Digital 2-Channel Downmix. IMO-Digital 2-Channel Downmixes are the closest thing to Vinyl, regardless if Disk or Memory are used. It is the first time that I have heard any real harmonic content from any Digital Source.
I have also heard of some that utilize a Record Analog Feed to a Digitizing Computer Memory. Some have claimed that they get the best Sound from this process. I would presume that one would need the best Analog/Digital and Digital/Analog Converters for this System. I have also heard that some use a device to reduce pops and ticks in the Analog Feed of such a System.
Personnal preferences will determine which System sounds best to you.
Doesn't exist. What you are comparing is analogue to digital. Stop chasing the 'analogue' sound, just live with digital. Remember it is the source that should be compared. I've listened to some blu-ray audio mastered from the analogue tapes on some titles I have in analogue, reel tapes, and while close, still can tell there is a difference. Analogue still has the edge. As more and more analogue is remastered to blu-ray, that may change. Since there is a lot of new vinyl that can be compared to the cd equal, you must decide. Part of the problem is that the vinyl is being cut from a digital source, often with all the EQ and other 'enhancements' added, so you never really hear the analogue sound as source. There are some titles that do go directly from the analogue tape masters to vinyl with little 'processing'. I think the Beatles project missed an opportunity to not issue a few blu-rays.

What works for me? Analogue, vinyl and tape, with tubes.
To specifically address your issue, I suggest you pay close attention to what Tvad and Buconero117 said in their posts.
Vinyl and digital will, probably, never sound the same.
And one person's silk purse is, always, going to be another person's sow's ear.
As far as getting the best sound you can from digital sources, I can only suggest what has worked for me.
First, optical drives seem to all suck. Always play music right off your hard drive--even if that means loading the CD's content, first, off of it on to your hard drive before playing it.
Secondly, to know if you have the right computer set-up, it will be one where the volume controls of your computer don't work--but the player's (like Foobar) does.
Thirdly, I suggest using a sepearte component solely for converting the USB signal to S/pdif before sending it to your DAC.
And this component should have a huge power supply. Don't use what comes with the converter, supplant it with a big computer power supply (I use an HP 6203B) set to match the AC voltage needs of your converter--effectively matching its "wall wart".
Fourthly, the output impedance of the converter and input impedance of the DAC seem to effect things. So, you'll need to try different digital cables to get a good match.
Fifthly, there seems to be a "sweet spot" in your music player's output level. Find it (by ear). Set it. Forget it. And just use your preamp's volume pot.
And, in conclusion, as far as what DAC to use, IF you're looking to get that "vinyl sound" out of it, use one with a tubed output.
Disclaimer: I have no idea why any of the above matters. I discovered it through lots of trial and lots of error.
I could go on. But, I just finished my second martini and can no longer type.
Nope.

a few months ago i did add a server, with 176/24 and 192/24 hirez files. they sound wonderful. much better than redbook.

but i likley prefer the best SACD's to the hirez PCM i've yet heard, let alone 'the best vinyl'.....which i have in my system. then there is 'the best reel to reel master tape, which beats the best vinyl.

i will qualify this by saying that my musical and sonic sensibilities highly value those aspects of music reproduction which are preserved by analog recording. i think live music sounds more like analog than digital (especially PCM). so if one values the added leading edge energy of PCM and don't have a problem with the reduced space and body with PCM.....then possibly digital could rival the best vinyl.

this is a subjective question; and i have friends i respect who prefer a digital hirez master to a RTR tape master. my ears tell me something different. and i know how the best of analog recordings make me feel compared to the best digital.

i do know what happens when i have friends over and we switch from listening to anything digital to Lps or RTR tape. we rarely if ever return to digital.

btw; i love digital and have top level digital gear.
You will have to do a lot of research to find a hard drive based system that works for you.

Here is a company offering hard drive front ends: sonore.us

I have not heard these products so I'm not recommending them, but it may be a place to start your search.