Playback Designs vs. Berkeley

Anyone compared the Playback Designs DAC or player to the Berkeley Alpha DAC head-to-head? With or without external source for the PDS?
bigamp
"What MH unit did you use and what soundcard was in the Mac Pro to output AES/EBU?

Where the DACs connected directly to active monitors/amps?"

Kana813: We were using the Sonic 305 which is a Sonic branded ULN-8 with a Lynx AES16 card.
The DAC's were connected through a Crane Song Avocet (modified by Dave Hill) and Pass Labs XA-100.5 monoblocs.
Jonathan, thanks for the information. Another quick question, is there already a firmware upgrade or something that would let the current PLayback support 384 kHz USB input available or is it only a working prototype that will be incorporated in the USB upgrade that you mention.
This is a bit unclear to me. I assume there will be some kind of USB driver to support this as it is unlikely that Window will support this natively.

Also for 5.6 MHz transmission, I assume that it would be useful for DSD but I am not sure how useful that is going to be unless there is a way to copy SACD to HD.

I will not be at CES but some friends are going there and I will ask them to take a look for me.
"We were using the Sonic 305 which is a Sonic branded ULN-8 with a Lynx AES16 card.The DAC's were connected through a Crane Song Avocet (modified by Dave Hill) and Pass Labs XA-100.5 monoblocs."

Crna39-

Appreciate the additional info.

Computer Audiophiles don't need or use a control units like the Crane Song Avocet with the MH units to directly driving their amp(s)or active speakers.

Perhaps the Avocet masked or colored the superior sound of the MH based unit in your system.

IMO, less boxes and cables = better SQ.
As the original poster, just FYI, I bought the PD DAC last year. Couldn't be happier.

Jonathan, that's very cool news about DSDx2 via USB. I've been tinkering in the computer audiophile world for a few years now, and for me that capability has been the ultimate format that no one has provided. Before I bought the PD, I considered getting the DAD AX24 because it can do 5.6MHz via some esoteric connections and soundcards, but that didn't seem practical. If PD can do it via USB, that's a great solution.
An old thread, but worth revisiting as some changes have hit since. The USB-X is out. The Berkeley has been rev'd and now has an outboard USB converter as an available "upgrade".