Playback Designs vs. Berkeley

Anyone compared the Playback Designs DAC or player to the Berkeley Alpha DAC head-to-head? With or without external source for the PDS?
bigamp

Showing 6 responses by kana813

The PD MPS-5 was reviewed/tested in the 2/10 issue of Stereophile.

Some folks over on the Computer Audiophile forum think the Metric Halo ULN-8/LIO-8 also sound much better the Berkeley Alpha DAC.

Unless you have a large DSD collection, I'd check those units out before spending $15K on the PD MPS-5.
Mr.Tinn-

Sorry I missed that he was asking about the $11K Playback Designs MPD-5 DAC, which still cost more than twice as much as a Metric Halo ULN-8/LIO-8.

The MPD-5 has no analog inputs and it's USB can only handle sample rates up to 48kHz. It's other digital inputs are formatted for stereo linear PCM data, so there goes the SACD bonus of the MPS-5.;-)

In addition to their analog and standard digital inputs, PCs & MACs can be connected to the Metric Halo ULN-8/LIO-8 via asyncronous 24/192 firewire. They're multi channel units which can provide digital crossovers and EQ for subs and surround systems.

Aloha.
Mr.Tinn

“The Metric is a good pro-audio dac. It certainly does not compare to our products, nor is it meant to. You should really find a way to listen to it.”

The Metric Halo ULN-8/LIO-8 are great DACs and can compare to best audiophile units.

I’m interested in hirez PCM playback from a PC or NAS without the use of a soundcard or converter, so there’s no reason for me to find a way to listen to the Playback Designs units.

I hold no ill will toward you. I understand that you’re a dealer/distributor promoting his products. I’m not interested in any of the products that you sell, so there’s no need for us to communicate off line.

Good luck with your new DAC.

Aloha,
Crna39-

If you've compared the MH UNL-8/LIO-8 to the PD MPD-5, what
was system?

Most audiophiles that are using the MH UNL-8/LIO-8 as a DAC/preamp are feeding it via firewire from a Mac using Amarra playback software.
Crna39-

"The system was a Mac Pro using FW to the MH unit. The sofware was Sonic SoundBlade. We also used the MH with AES/EBU so we could quick A/B with the other converters."

What MH unit did you use and what soundcard was in the Mac Pro to output AES/EBU?

Where the DACs connected directly to active monitors/amps?
"We were using the Sonic 305 which is a Sonic branded ULN-8 with a Lynx AES16 card.The DAC's were connected through a Crane Song Avocet (modified by Dave Hill) and Pass Labs XA-100.5 monoblocs."

Crna39-

Appreciate the additional info.

Computer Audiophiles don't need or use a control units like the Crane Song Avocet with the MH units to directly driving their amp(s)or active speakers.

Perhaps the Avocet masked or colored the superior sound of the MH based unit in your system.

IMO, less boxes and cables = better SQ.