old cdp that hangs with new ones

just wondering what old players that u guys have had in the past that would hold their own with newer pricier players.
flyin2jz
My Magnavox cdb 492,put it in after my Creek died,Like in other posts going around now,the sound of this player is actually really good,actually quite amazing, i like it better then the Rotel 855 also,which i find good,but not as good sounding ,at least to my ears.
Pioneer DV-58 AV, this player can Downmix High Rez. Multi-Channel SACD/DVD-Audio. The Downmix versions sound very impressive. Just picked one up, dealers display model for $275.00. Just payed a Electronic Expert Friend of mine to install Balanced Analog, Balanced Digital Outputs on the Pioneer.
i can give you my own old cdp vs new evaluation. i have a nad c541 and i have a vintage nad 5240 cdp they both sound exactly the same. i did back to back tests and i cant tell them apart. surely nad would have better stuff today than 20 yrs ago. the only reason im keeping the 541 is that it has a remote. if the old one did i would keep it. the 5240 has fixed and variable analog outputs which may be usefull in ways. ive been wanting to get a older magnavox but they are tough to finds.
Jadis JD3 built 12/97, bought used in 07/03 for EUR 1.200 which must have been about a third or a quarter of list price at that time.

In honesty, I had it modified in 11/07 though after it had become disturbingly noisy. Still going strong now in my SET system.
i own an audionote cd2. selecting an appropriate tube makes this player a worthwhile audition. in addition some of the older wadia gear is pretty good, as was the forsell dac and transport.