Would changing to a MC solve my problem?

Not getting enough gain with my Hegel V10 phono stage. I have a MM cart at the moment. 

The question is this:

Would a MC cart with .4mV and phono stage with 66db of gain play louder than a MM with an output of 2.4mV and Gain of 46dB?
I'm sure there are calculators out there, but haven't found them yet. 

traudio

Guys, I had this issue with the Hegel and now with a Cary SLI-80.
I know it’s the phono stage since that’s the change I made on the analog. The former stage had enough gain, this one doesn’t. That’s all.

My question was if switching to to a MC cart will give me more flexibility with the gain?

Noromance’s link answered my question.

You could as well conclude that your MM cartridge is at fault, because 46db gain in an MM phono stage is typically more than adequate. On the other hand, 2.4 mV output from your MM is low . Most MMs make 4-5mV output. All of this suggests to me that you’re not getting much if any gain from your linestage, and that’s why digital is fine but analog is weak.

@traudio : In the mean time to decide what to do you can test the Goldring 1042 that’s not so expensive and that has higher output level ( 6.5mv ) and is a better performer that what you can think for its low price tag: the 1042 stylus is similar to the one in the over 10K Ortofon MC Diamond or the Verissimo models ( Replicant 100. )

Btw, the gentlemans that try to help you are at " blind " because you do not disclosed your system items yet.

MC gives you not more flexibility. What can help you ( not the MC. ) is to match your system items to your MUSIC/Sound targets and then choose the items that could match it and could match it electrically in between.

R.

Again, the only thing I changed was the phono stage which was a Musical Surroundings Phonomena, and now the Hegel V-10.

Only analog and a digital input, no other sources.

Ok, the only one not mentioned is the cart which is a Soundsmith Zephyr III with about 60 hrs on it. Not a Moving Magnet, but the instructions have you set it as such.

It looks like either the phono stage needs to change our I need to switch to a MC.

Traudio, both Raul and I are trying to help but you don’t seem to pay attention. What linestage are you using? (That’s my question.) IMO, unless you dislike the Hegel on other grounds, the last thing you need to do to solve the particular problem at hand is to dump the Hegel.