Solid State Power Amps

I’m currently using 2 PrimaLuna EVO 400 power amps. I want to try my EVO 400 preamp with solid state power amps. I am considering the BHK 300, MC830, Accuphase 250 or 300 and the Pass X260.8. My budget is around 25k. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. If there is something else please recommend it. 

128x128sgordoxyz

SimAudio and the Be driver on the Focal may not be a great match. I heard the 860A V2 on Paradigm Persona 5F. While I enjoyed the sound I knew I could not listen for long periods.

For a Be driver, I would look at Class A like the KRELL Duo 175XD (or the rumored new model) or the CODA #16. The new CODA S5.5 that people are raving about is also something to consider if the speaker does not need a lot of power. I have the CODA #16 and had the KRELL. Great amps, though I wonder if the SimAudio 861 would be a better match with my slightly warm Yamaha NS5000 over the CODA #16.

JA: "The Focal will play loudly when fed only a few watts, my estimate of its voltage sensitivity being 89.2dB/2.83V/m. However, as fig.1 shows, the Sopra No.3 is a difficult load for an amplifier to drive, with a minimum magnitude of 2.75 ohms at 96Hz and a combination of 4 ohms and a –56° electrical phase angle at 68Hz, both frequencies where music can have high levels of energy. Because the magnitude is considerably higher in the treble, the speaker will sound brighter when driven by tubed amplifiers, with their typically high output impedances."

@hilde45 Its pretty clear that JA has no idea of what he's talking about. If the tube amp employs feedback (and most do) then there will be no brightness.

Especially at this level it really depends on what specific improvements you’re looking for and what sound characteristics are most important to you.  Without that info this is just a pure crapshoot of recommendations of amps other people like that may or may not have anything to do with what you’re looking for. 

Anything with a strong power supply. Everyone is suggesting along the same lines- large stiffening caps, lots of output devices and a good sized toroidal transformer. The Coda line is what I would take IF if didn't want gobs of power on tap for lower efficiency monitors. 

You have what you need for a tube amp, splurge on some SS and see how it goes. You really can't lose on an S5.5 if you don't like it sell it and you will know better what it is you would like a little cost on the S5.5

yyzSantaBarbara,

but have you heard the 861 amplifier that's a whole different league better than the 860A V2? I have heard the 861 and it's much better than the 860 A V2.