Digital LP’s

Has anyone noticed that LP’s made from digital sources don’t sound as good as actual CDs.  The seem to lack spaciousness and detail.

128x128rvpiano

Fortunately, I'm not interested in much music recorded during the digital era.  I also try to avoid reissues with intermediate digital steps, but sometimes that's the best you can do.

@yoyoyaya is correct that CDs technically have a higher dynamic range than vinyl—however mastering on CD tends to be extremely compressed, whereas good vinyl mastering engineers make their records dynamic, often more so than their CD counterparts. IMO it is all about the mastering. You can have a record mastered from digital that sounds terrible or stunning depending on how it was mastered. Same for AAA. 

@yoyoyaya "Vinyl actually has less dynamic range than a 16 bit CD." - Yes, mathematically perhaps, but that seldom makes it past the mastering board." I prefer LP over a typical CD or flac file...

Also, +1 "But for pop and rock music dynamic range is pretty irrelevant as most recordings are compressed into a very narrow dynamic range window."

I like my CD player very much (Ayre), but my analogue source is more revealing.  Ex. I own Josh, by Josh Sklair on both LP(analogue) and CD (20-bit), simultaneously recorded.  When home, I prefer listening to the LP because of the slightly better tone and dynamics.

I also own dozens of the old Windham Hill LPs and CDs.  The early ones were AAA. Turning, Turning Back by Alex deGrassi (1978, Stan Richter, 1/2 speed? mastered), and it has the attributes we seek in great recordings.  Not convinced? Listen to December by George Winston (1982, uncompressed close-miked piano) on both LP and CD, there is a palatable loss when moving from the LP to the digital release.

Moreover, any LP/CD comparison will be profoundly influenced by the transducer in each path (LP = cartridge / CD = A/D converter): The better the transducer, the better the sound.

Finally - @ossicle2brain   "My question remains, why put these new digitally recorded pieces on a slab of vinyl?". 

That's easy to answer - to play in my car (I do not own a vintage Rolls Royce with a record player in the back seat ;-).  Yes, I can stream, but road noise, brings the fidelity down to the common sound-Q denominator. 

Getting back to the OPs statement/question.

I recall when Abraxas was released by MoFi on a 'One-Step' pressing.  I believe the original cost was $100.  Shortly after it sold out, USED copies were selling for $350.  A friend was offered $600 for his copy.  By contrast, most LPs loose value after they are opened and played.

As we know, MoFi was later harshly criticized in the hi-fi community for using a D in the chain (there was even a lawsuit brought against MoFi ).  Up to that point, many analogue fans proclaimed it one of, if not THE, BEST LP that they have ever heard.

Funny how our biases can be so retrospective. 

I think that MoFi taught us all a hard lesson: When properly employed, a D step to reduce noise can actually enhance a recording.  

I enjoy my AAA LPs (thousands), but I am keeping an open D perspective.