Benchmark DAC1 Pre - anybody heard a mod?

I have a Benchmark DAC1 Pre that I am fairly happy with. I have seen and read several posts from people offering modifications to the DAC1 that apparently increase warmth, resolution and imaging. Does anybody own a modified DAC1 or DAC1 pre that has been modified? What were the modifications, costs and sonic improvements? Your advice will help me decide if this is the right decision for me.

Thanks
beatster
Hi Kijanki,

I'm glad you're getting good results with your DAC plugged directly into your AMP. I too had good results with my Bel Canto DAC3 plugged directly into my Class D Bel Canto REF1000 Monoblocks, however when I re-tubbed my VTL Preamp and then put it back in my system; the sound improvement was astonishing. The soundstage opened up further, and there was better depth, width, imaging and PRAT. The Vocals were also more palpable and real with more flesh on the bones.

Sometimes less is more, but sometimes less is less.

I think that Beatster has basically 3 choices to get the warmer, richer sound that he desires.

1) Buy a Tubed Preamp
2) Buy a Tubed Amp or perhaps a high quality Class D Amp.
3) Buy a Tubed DAC

Since he already owns a Great DAC and a SS AMP, I think his best purchasing decision; in order to get a warmer and richer sound would be to add a Tubed Preamp instead of modifying his Benchmark DAC.

I happen to like the combination of a SS Amp matched to a Tubed Preamp.

Not only will a good quality Tubed Preamp warm up the sound, but as I stated above, it will also open up the soundstage dimensions, as well as provide better imaging, and PRAT.

Happy Listening!
Thank you all for your replies. I was also of the opinion that less is more and thus was looking at options of modifying the Benchmark DAC1 Pre. Now I am inclined to try a tube pre before deciding on next steps.

On another note, I also considered changing the Benchmark to another DAC. Came across a tube DAC called Chime made by Hagerman Technology? As I need USB input, this sounds very promising.
Hi Guys,

I think it's great that you're both willing to try new things. That's what makes our hobby so much fun. Beatster, as a mentioned earlier, I too own the Benchmark DAC, and I think it is absolutely wonderful,

I initially bought it for my Living Room, but now I have it hooked up to my Mac Pro in my home office, with a pair of Audio Engine 5 speakers and I'm getting wonderful results. I was able to find the sound that I was looking for in the Bel Canto DAC3 used last year for $1750 now it goes for around $1600. But, it was the Benchmark DAC that initially lit a fire under me to upgrade my entire audio system over the past year, and I haven't looked back.

As Kijanki mentioned, the Benchmark DAC does really excel in; clarity, transparency and resolution as well as sound stage width. I think it is a little weak in midrange purity, timbre, harmonics, and sound stage depth, but for $1000 I think it is is still one of the best buys in all of HiFi and I continue to wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a new DAC. I think if someone's system is on the warm side, too laid back or to slow then it's a great choice. If someone's system is too dry, analytical, or too forward then I would go for a used Bel Canto DAC3. The Bel Canto also has a smoother midrange than the Benchmark, without sacrificing transparency, speed, or resolution.

The best thing to do would be to try and demo or borrow different components that you may be interested in, without committing to purchase it just yet.
Oh, one more thing!

True, sometimes, less "is" more. If a component or cable, is not transparent to the source and it gets in the way of the music, than in fact less is more.

So, trust your ears, in your system, that's all that matters.