Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

@mahgister 

I think Chet Baker can sing better than Miles Davis.😁

I put it to reveal that not all jazz afficionados takes Montoliu ,underestimated in America, as a secondary pianist but as one who can rival Peterson in the same way Chet Baker rival Miles Davis in his own individual way

Thats the problem i had....

For me Miles Davis is the best trumpet player...

No doubt ...

But Baker sing better with or without trumpet ...😊

I am in a bar and the dude in front of me speak and mumble a bit ...

He spoke to me right now and if you want listening Baker i can say what he spoke about with his words coming as a cigarette smoke ...

Thats how Baker can play when he is not too much on drug ...😁

And he did  it two times learning anew with  with no teeth...

Then he does not play as this with only his mouth it takes what we must call a soul as in Armstrong playing i forgot speaking of Miles as the best which is true as Jupiter exist  ...

Armstrong is the sun.... Baker is the moon ....Miles is Jupiter .... Evident for me ....

It is jazz planetology 101 ... 😊

@mahgister

I think Chet Baker can sing better than Miles Davis.😁

Just started my listening today with Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio,  Speak Low. The recording is a bit compressed, but when the bass is going to town with not much more that the high hat keeping time, I smiled.

Just started my listening today with Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio,  Speak Low. The recording is a bit compressed, but when the bass is going to town with not much more that the high hat keeping time, I smiled.

I smile too when i listen to him...😊

Very good recommendation and i concur with you ...