The new Coda S5.5 amplifier: It's a "Petite Beast"!

I have in-house the New Coda Technologies S5.5 amplifier for review for Stereo Times website. It will be awhile before I write the review. However, I'm so impressed by the performance of this petite amplifier, it only weights 45 pounds, that I wanted to give a heads up to you GON members if you are in the market for a balanced pure class A amplifier, delivers 50 watts @ 8 Ohms, and can drop 100 Amperes of current on a peak!

The world class build quality of Coda amplifiers is on display with the S5.5, along with the most beautiful purity of tonality, precise sound-staging, complete liquidity offered by pure class A design, and what might be the best top end regarding details, decays, and a natural shimmering without brightness or any edge at all.

The S5.5 uses extremely wide bandwidth output transistors instead of the usual TO3 devices used in most transistor designs. I own the Coda #16, which is great, but the midrange/high end is taken to another level of musical enjoyment with the S5.5. The S5.5 has a sense of speed/aliveness that is exciting to listen to that you experience in live music. The amp is dynamic as hell, has driven with ease any speaker I have tried it with, hence my nickname of the "Petite Beast". Remember, 50 watts pure class A, can drop 100 amperes of current and only weights 45 pounds.

Teajay (Terry London)

johnah5

Hey irave,

I suggest you call Doug at Coda to answer your question. My hunch is that it would be OK, but check with him.

Teajay

@irave  Don't do it...the amp will explode! 😉

If it is a truly balanced design, that should not be an issue. I have a SPL Performer S1200 amp with both balanced and RCA inputs. I also use a tubed preamp with balanced and RCA outputs. (Some preamps and amps run the RCA and XLR inputs parallel, so they are not truly balanced) I use the preamp and amp balanced connections for LP and CD listening and bypass the preamp using the RCA connections while listening to internet radio running directly into the amp. Since I tend to have the tuner on for at least 2-3 hours a day (for background music), it saves wear and tear on the preamp tubes. There is an input switch on the back of the amp for both inputs making the change easy. It appears the Coda has an input switch on the front.

@grk you're right.  I verified in the manual, it says this about the front buttons:

2. The INPUT SELECTOR button switches between the balanced and unbalanced inputs.

4. This two color LED indicates that the main power is on. When it is green the balanced inputs are in use. When it is yellow the unbalanced inputs are in use.

So as long as I don't mind walking over to hit the button instead of using a remote, this option will allow me to use any preamp without bypass support.   Nice!

Am I correct that there is no way of purchasing a 5.5 with a trial period or any money back return period,  in case the buyer concludes it’s not the best match for his or her system?