The molecular level explanation of "cable burn-in"

According to one cable seller

"The insulation (or dielectric) will absorb energy from the conductor when a current is flowing (i.e. when music is playing). This energy-absorption causes the dielectric's molecules to re-arrange themselves from a random order into a uniform order. When the molecules have been rearranged, the dielectric will absorb less energy & consequently cause less distortion."

So it’s the plastic polymer (as dielectric insulation) to undergo some sort of molecular rearrangements to minimize the distortion. Probably one of the greatest scientific discoveries ever!

“Many premium AC cords constrict or compress the audio transient as their characteristic impedance restricts the transient current.”

We all know impedance restricts current but how possibly “many” premium AC cords constrict/compress the audio transient (when not carrying audio signal)? Then again is it achieved by this molecular rearrangements of the cable insulation?

Unfortunately there are no measurement data or mathematical formulas to be found to back up this amazing scientific discovery. Simply “it happens”. So I came up with a formula for them.

∆E = P - SoT

∆E: energy absorbed by dielectric

P: energy (power) drawn from wall outlet

So : Smake Oile

T: Dielectric Transition Temperature

classicrockfan

Ever use a non-contact circuit tester?

rodman99999

Of course I know exactly how it works and I do have one. I got my master degree in EE from one of the best engineering colleges in the nation. Your description is not quite right. Electric and magnetic fields are present around any electrical circuit.Also an electromagnetic field can be formed when charged particles are accelerated. We don't use any "electrical theory" in modern electrical engineering. From their website "by keeping a constant electrostatic field on an insulation material... the molecules of the material are polarized reducing the misbehavior ...the insulation can't absorb new energy" Seriously rodman99999 none of the above makes sense a good example of pseudo-science. Of course if i ever visit Indianapolis... i will be honored.

Your description is not quite right.

What part?

classicrockfan

If the wire is live there will be an electric field around it. That’s all that is needed, plus being held by the person checking for AC voltage. The person, being the ground completing a capacitive circuit.

How does a Volt Stick work?

More detailed, better explanation, than Fluke gives, imo.

What is A Non-Contact Voltage Tester? - Fluke Corporation

The insulation covering a wire does not stop an electric field from passing through the outer wall of it. Nor will it stop an EM field from passing through the outer wall of it. A 100% shield around the live insulated conductor will.

rodman99999

You're actually good. I would rather use "electric potential' than "voltage potential". Voltage = electric potential difference between two points.

jea48

Thank you for investing your time and effort in making this thread more informative.

@classicrockfan -

I would rather use "electric potential' than "voltage potential".

Certainly understandable.

My own nomenclature choices* are rather based on how our Prof expressed himself (regarding atomic charges), followed by decades of checking for, "electrical potential" differences, IN Volts, with voltmeters/oscilloscopes, between neutrals and grounds, over so many decades.

*SEMANTICS

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/300934/what-is-the-difference-between-electric-potential-potential-difference-and-vol

and:

https://www.quora.com/What-unit-is-represented-by-a-joule-per-coulomb