A new CDP after my Rega Apollo or a new DAC?

After a year plus with my Rega Apollo I'm ready to make a modest upgrade to a CDP in the $1500 to $2000 range. New or used. My system is pretty modest so I'm not sure if this price range will result in a real change. Options that I've considered include the Rega Apollo SE, Raysonic 128, Cayin CD-50T and Cambridge Azur 840. I should be able to audition these players shortly but only one or two in my system.

The rest of my current system consists of a Cayin 100T tube amp and Salk HT-1 monitors. I also have a Boulder modded Duet feeding into a Benchmark DAC. I wonder if my $$ is better spent getting a different DAC as the Benchmark sounds a little harsh to my ears after awhile. There are too many options in this price range and my head starts to hurt trying to figure out what might be right.Van alstine? TADAC? Music Hall?

Ultimately it seems like I might have to buy used gear to see if I like it and sell it off if I don't.

Although I listen mostly to jazz I don't want an overly warm or romantic sound. Suggestions?
mightyburner
I have heard that the Raysonic needs several hours of usage each time it is turned on before sounding optimal. Have you noticed this?
Mightyburner,

I was in the same situation about 5 months ago and decided to go with the Bryston BDA-1. It has made a difference in soundstage width, depth, detail and the magical act of the speakers disappearing. I listened again to the Apollo by itself and man I preferred it with the BDA-1 without question. I'm sure technology has changed in the last few months and maybe you can find something in that price range that will beat out the BCD-1 which is very good.
Mst, No. My unit sounds fairly good after about 15 minutes. Good enuf that after that I'm just listening to the music.
I have a Cayin CDT-23 CDP. I recently purchased the new Rega DAC, and it is indeed a significant upgrade. Your solidly built Cayin would make a good transport.
lol. sorry about that--you have the apollo. People say the Rega DAC beats it hands down.