Streamer/DAC combinations

Looking for opinions on Streamer/DAC combinations.  I am currently using a Node as my streamer and DAC.  Considering upgrading.  The options seem to be endless, so thought I'd solicit some of your opinions.  My node is currently running through a McIntosh C42 Preamp into a McIntosh MC352 Power amp.  Using Klipsh Forte IV's.  The node sounds good, but I think I may be leaving something on the table in SQ.  Not wanting to break the bank so to speak.  Maybe spend in the $2-3K area for budget.  Opinions???

128x128davegolf2424

Lumin gets my vote. It's great place to start and maybe end. If you are a Roon user then setup the features you life inside the Lumin app then flip it over to setup in Roon Only mode then sit back and enjoy. The T2/T3 or D2/D3 is a wonderful spot to try. In my setup I preferred the T2 over the very nice R2R Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE. I'm a firm believer in streaming DAC's over USB DAC's nowadays. Had a few troubles when trying to get HQPlayer to play well with the Holo. The Lumin products just work with no issues ever and they also have their own decent app if you don't use Roon. The only thing I found with the Lumin T2 or other Lumin with the ESS Sabre chip is that they don't sound the best with stat's or electrostatic speakers for some reason.

Or check out Hifi Rose RS150 or Eversolo DMP-A8 for some good examples as well. Each have their disadvantages but you can't go wrong with any these mentioned above.

A lot of options. How about checking out the Ferrum Wandla DAC? A+ rated by Stereophile, says it rivals DAC’s costing $10K or more. I think that it’s $2,800 (without the upgraded power supply, which you could do at a later time). And Lumin U2 Mini streamer for $2,400. Lumin has leedh lossless digital volume control, so you can also use it as a preamp. Apparently Lumin is part of the Pixel Magic Systems Ltd group-- which has experience in professional broadcast applications, for whatever that is worth. I have no personal experience with either product, but I have been searching for both a new DAC and streamer, and have been itching to buy/try both of these products. Good luck with your search.

My 2 cents- upgrade the power cord to the node and invest in the DAC. The node is just the server!

@moonwatcher and @soix 

I never auditioned any iteration of the Denafrips Pontus, but I had several decent DACs in my system. I just sold Bricasti M3 and am trying to figure out my next move. Meanwhile, since I was always curious about the PS Audio DSD DAC, I picked up the Mk1. I must say that I’m enjoying it a great deal!

It’s a unique DAC in that it’s very detailed but manages that while being very natural and full sounding. Soundstage is excellent and the presentation is laid back and relaxed without losing drive and dynamics. Running the latest Sunlight firmware. It’s an amazing value under $2,000. 

@soix ​​@vthokie83 ​​​​​​@audphile1 thanks for your input regarding the Pontus II -12th and the PS Audio DSD DAC Mk1. That Mk1 is available at TMR for around $1700 to $1800 or add another $200 and get their network streaming card. Very tempting considering it was selling for $6K not too long ago. As others note, DACs have all come a long way in the last say 5 years. Good to have great options in the $2K range which suits my interest and budget (and likely would get all I can from my system without buying "too much" DAC). Then again, all the reviews of the Pontus II make deciding pretty tough. At some point, since we can’t hear these in person, we make a choice and go with it. Thankfully there is the TMR to trade in gear (or Audiogon for selling) if we get something that doesn’t suit us. Thanks again. Also note that yes, I have concerns about getting anything serviced. Anything made by man can break after all. Glad to know that Denafrips does have a service center here in the U.S. I’m not sure how good any additional warranties through 3rd parties at Amazon would really be in practice.