Audio Racks, Just How beneficial? looking for guidance in upgrading

Greetings all. Looking for guidance and your experience in racks & shelves for the ’sweet spot’ and upgrading. Do you find that applying a percentage of your total system’s value of perhaps 5% or even 10% is a good metric? Do you folks find that some of the leading Audio Rack companies, like HRS, CMS for ex., which seem great but is it beneficial to warrant spending well over $15k , $10k + or $5K on vibration isolation for a mid level system. Racks are really hard to demo; I’m reaching out to Audiogon community.

I’m trying to get my arms around some of the price points and the cost/benefits.
Anyone find wood is sonically better?
Doesn’t seem to be that much between A/V furniture manufactures and the better companies. Prefer a Modular approach like Bassoconuinuo- (anyone have it? I haven’t priced it yet.) or adjustable shelves. (not that keen on Solid Steel).
I need 6 shelves including top for turntable.
Currently have a BDI with glass shelves; using still points, or BDR cones, maple butcher blocks. Yes, I know the glass shelves...have to go.
Thanks!

blue_strat

It’s true that I am a big proponent, but that’s because at least at first glance, audiophiles often don’t consider the room, which has the biggest impact on sound quality after the speakers, but start getting esoteric fast.

Your point that I'm off topic is however not wrong.  I really like Butcher Block acoustics for their product quality, cost and aesthetics.  I have no idea how it "sounds" 

There are a couple approaches. Full blown high end audio racks with built in vibration control ($$$$$) and high quality sturdy racks to which you can add vibration control. When I have researched the topic before I always have come to the conclusion that the most cost effective route is great sturdy racks with enough space to add various vibration control devices under each component.

This allows approaching each component separately and spreads outlays over time. So, in my case I have an excellent Silent Running Audio custom Ohio Class vibration platform specifically designed for my turntable. While under the rest of my components I have combinations of Black Diamond Racing platforms, pucks, and springs. So, this approach really allows a lot of flexibility.

Top notch audio racks with sophisticated vibration control cost a lot.

I used to have BDI but saw the problem with glass. Went shopping, saw a lot of flimsy racks for a lot of money too! So I made my own, went with butcher block and threaded rod. On the base of threaded rod, have heavy duty casters. As for sound in between speakers, maybe the super critical would find something, but I don’t find an issue. For base of whole structure used super strut painted black. Super sturdy. Liked this instead of stone, cause then ur talking at least a thousand pounds 

Personally, I prefer the shelves in my rack to be decoupled from one another. I don't particularly see why the rack needs to be super stable horizontally since most of the problematic vibrations are traveling vertically. As with Ghdprentice, I also prefer to decouple the equipment from the shelves. If I had an unlimited budget, I would look at something like HRS but it would probably be cheaper to replace my suspended wood floor with concrete!

After deciding on the esthetics (with your SO, if applicable), I agree with @ghdprentice in the approach of finding a rack that provides a very stable platform for each component as well as the ability to treat the support of each component individually. 

Depending on the component, I use SRA Ohio+ platforms, a BDR shelf, Zoethecus Z-slabs, DIY constrained layer platforms, thick wood platforms, Herbies products, springs, and Hudson HiFi platinum silicone hemisphere footers.  In some cases, I decouple a stable shelf like a Z-slab from the rack and then further decouple the component from the shelf using the hemisphere footers, Herbies footers, or springs.  My three "racks" consist of either sturdy constructed quartersawn oak furniture (that I have heavily reinforced) or a Sound Anchor stand.  If you simply want sturdy, it is hard to beat Sound Anchor.  However, having a fully digital system, I know nothing about specific best practices for supporting a turntable.