who needs a cd player anymore

I have not used my 2 cd players in over a year and i don't miss them. I have a krell kid ipod player, msb ilink and wadia i170 all ipod based. The real advantage is not having to search though hundreds of cd and wasting time on finding songs. On one ipod touch 32 GB i have over 3,000 itunes plus songs on it. On my other ipod i have apple lossless music only. My point when you lose your cd player and go to a music server, ipod etc. you can enjoy so much more music and thats what its really about.
usarmyvet91
Personally, I think that my modified squeezebox feeding my Classe DAC-1 is much better than my Denon DVD-2900 doing the same. I find that the soundstage is clearer, deeper, wider...I also find that the bass has a bit more punch, which I hear improves even more if you upgrade the power supply.

In terms of browsing through CD's...I like using Squeeze-center. You know sometimes when you are listening to something and it reminds you of something else that you enjoy...it is so much easier to add a song to a playlist instead of getting up, finding a CD, putting it into the player and finally sitting back in your seat...only to then discover again that you don't like the rest of the CD...and have to repeat the process all over again.

The truth is that you would be very hard pressed to find a CDP that produces the same bit-perfect stream that a computer can. I think the death of the CDP will be when they are able to figure out the best way to convert the 1's and 0's of a computer into a signal that a DAC can read...either that or some type of device that skips the whole SPDIF thing...
Yep, use my cd player about every day. Haven't used my Ipod in months cuz it just doesn't sound all that good.
Davt how were you listing to your ipod? You can go with the wadia i170 ipod transport. Most people can't tell the difference between the wadia i170 ipod transport or a very good cd transport, playing the same music via a dac. The wadia i170 is only a couple of hundred of dollars and it sounds just as good as cd transports that cost thousands more. Just wait till other company come out with better ipod transports that have lower jitter control, power supplies, etc. I think company's have only just began to see the full potential of the ipod transport. I am waiting for someone to come out with a true highend ipod transport or player.
Well every time I read posts like this about anything going obsolete, I like to post a link to an article, by a well known audio writer. I cannot find it right now. But this was a real serious article that even gave a time frame, that has come and gone several years ago. But basically it said 2 channel music will go by the wayside, in the same way the LP obsolete and dead. I have always wanted to see where this guy is these days, and send him the link to his article.

Obviously 2 channel is as strong as ever, and vinyl is far from obsolete. My guess is CD and players will be around for quite awhile.
Hello Synthfreek and all others.
I DO have a Music Server
it`s an ESCIENT MK2 in the same cabinet
under the 4 Sony CD changers.
That shows the album covers,
artist names and track titles
on my TV screen.