CD Mats -- do they work? Are they dangerous?

I'm curious about these. There's a new carbon fiber one that looks interesting (carbon fiber of course having every magical property known to man, and a few we don't even know about yet). Any thoughts on whether or not we should all be using these, whether their snake oil, and how safe it is to use them in our high end CD players and transports?
dgaylin
I have to agree with Cruz123, I use the Marigo Signiture Refrence with my ARC and yes, it does make a difference, in fact I don't listen to a disc without it. I've had zero problems in use with it, and yes there is not a huge difference but enough of a difference that I'm satisfied that I spent the money for the improvements it provides for me. As with any tweak it is an subjective judgement, if you can get it on a trial basis that would be a way to go for you, also contact your manufacturer and see what tech has to say about it's use as well.
i have the marigo and carbon fiber mat. both reduce focus and have the affect of softening leading edges of transients, slightly reducing apparent resolution in exchange for a somewhat more relaxed presentation.

i prefer the carbon mat to the marigo mat.
Thanks for your responses everyone....guess you have to try for yourself and decide.