Handling Heavy Amps

There are several amps I’m interested in possibly purchasing but I’m dissuaded because of their weight. I’ve had lower back issues so I need to be careful. I live alone. Even if my wife was still alive she would not have been able to help much. Also Children live far. I see that many of you have these 60-100 pound behemoths and I wonder how do you manage. If I buy from my dealer he’ll load it in my SUV. However when I get home it will be difficult to get it out and onto the garage floor where I can place it on my handcart. Then when I get it next to my rack I need to maneuver it out of the box and up onto the rack. I guess I would need to see if my dealer would deliver it and place it on the rack. Probably for a fee. So that may work. But then if I need to paint, move furniture, resell the unit whatever I would need help. I think I can handle up to 40lbs. So how do you handle these amps? Is it a concern for you?  I’m spoiled by my Benchmark 12 lb AHB2. It’s also the reason I’ve been investigating Class D amps. 

jfrmusic

I got out of vinyl in the late 90s. Then started ripping CDs to my MacBook a feed year later. I have half a terabyte of music on my MacBook at the moment. Now I’m getting a really nice streamer that will also support me adding up to 16 terabytes of SSD disk. I’ll start with One. Then move my library there. I feel so light not having all those physical CDs. Now I’m into streaming so will not be buying many CDs anymore. But I don’t want a lot of heavy audio equipment. My Harbeth C7s weigh 29 lbs. When it arrives my Aurender Streamer is 29lbs  I think of it as the turntable system in my all digital system. My MSB DAC 19lbs and my current amp the AHB2 is 12 lbs. All manageable. If I replace the amp I’ll go no more than 40lbs. From what I’ve heard and researched very high end amp sound doesn’t necessarily equate with large heavy behemoths. 

Beautiful High Efficiency OB Speakers very very easy to manage as an alternative type Speaker.

Mr Nixie - STC - ll Power Amp, unbelievable Amp for the volume, do not be fooled by its size, there are much more valuable and highly rated Amp's that this one has Superseded in others systems. It has also been used as a Active Amp in Speaker designs.

CDP, Streamers and DAC's are to be found almost Hand Size and weighing in under 1Kg.

A TT can be found as very lightweight structure using the modern materials selected to control transfer of energy.

I myself have reduced from 9 Stone (58Kg) Plinth on a TT, to a Plinth produced from a more commonly seen material for such purposes that weighs less than 1 Stone (6Kg)

A Support Structure can be a Light Weight Wall Mounted Shelve produced for the purpose to support Audio Equipment.

These are the types of things needing to be considered if wanting Music in the home to a certain level of replay as the years and best of health are behind us, I am slowly making change and acclimatising to the notion, my wonderful long term owned commission built devices will be somebody else's pleasure, 'maybe' ?

Ancient Astronaut Theorists say that the megaton stones of the great Pyramids, Easter Island and Stonehenge were floated and put place with sound waves.

Might be worth checking in to? Probably should put your neighbors on notice before implementing this plan. Someone’s floating Sub-Zero frig could be quite disturbing.

I feel your pain. I just put my system on new racks! And some of my gear is about 75lbs plus . I’m 60 now and can still do it but another 10 years or so I’ll be SOL. Maybe try and stay on the lighter side of things if you can. That’s what I think I will have to do as time goes on Michael. 

OP,

👍🎉

Just out of interest. Why are folks moving amps and speakers?. Typically I buy an amp or speaker… place it (even heavy speakers are easy to walk for adjustment) and not touch it for ten years or more. What are you guys doing? Moving to dust under them?