Gallium Nitride GaN Class D Amplifiers

In my recent research for a possible upgrade to my current amp (Benchmark (AHB2) I was reading about the new higher end design for Class D. I'm very interested in learning more about these new GaN(Gallium Nitride) designs. Three companies are offering some very well reviewed products and they are not going crazy with Watts per channel:

Orchard Audio offers a 250 watt Amp

AGD a 100 watt

Atmos-Phere also a 100 watt

What's interesting  is while Orchard is a new company AGD and Atmos-Phere have been around a while producing high end Tube amps. In almost every review it is noted how these newer designs sound like Class A or Tubes with all the benefits of Solid State. One reviewer couldn't go back to his tube amps after extended listening to the Orchard. No wonder AGD and Atmos-Phere are getting into this technology. It's very exciting as these amps are highly efficient turning over 90% of the power they draw into sound compared to about 78% with A/B designs and I believe even significantly lower for Class A. They run cool and usually weigh between 10-28lbs. I plan to do more investigation. Small size and light weight with decent power is very attractive. There are also mono block offerings for more power if needed. These are not cheap Class D products. They are well designed and constructed.

Orchard Audio's base model is around $2700and their Dual mono version with larger power supplies is $5500.

Both AGD and Atoms-Phere are $5000

Mono blocks for each are about twice the cost.

Has anyone had any experience, demos, etc ., with these types of GaN Class D amps?

jfrmusic

@tvad “Nevertheless, I believe AGD Productions GAN amps (and I suspect Atma-Sphere GAN amps as well), are worthy of recommendation and audition.” I agree that they are worthy of audition.  I quite liked the AGD amps when I heard them at CAS this year.  Sorry to say not quite so much for the Orchard. I liked the Atma-sphere the best out of the three I’m just not ready to recommend as a substitution for a tube amp though.  Hopefully they will continue to improve.

@audio_is_subjective64 by “other synergy issues”  are you referring to other components in my system?  If so, what I can say is the only thing that changes during my evaluation of my Class D amp is the amp itself.  Everything else including cables, Cardas Clear btw, remain the same.  Therefore what I perceive as a lack of soul, I can only attribute to the change from tube to Class D amps.

@marco1 Sure I get it. It did not work for you, however many others rave about them. Many people say the same about Class D and G (Benchmark) amplifiers I rather enjoyed my BC e1x (daughter hijacked it). It just wasn't for you. Having Cardas Clear makes nothing fool proof. I enjoy my tube system also.

Therefore what I perceive as a lack of soul, I can only attribute to the change from tube to Class D amps.

@audio_is_subjective64 not quite sure what we are debating here.  My point since posting initially was to say that I didn’t think my Class D amps sounded like or as good as my tube amps.  If you’re certain it has something to do with synergy, my speakers, or my other components not even knowing what they are then I guess you’re a pretty smart fella.  I think I know my system a little better than you and can assure you it doesn’t.

And if my post makes no sense now it’s because you just edited yours.  Now I have really no idea what you are talking about.  But that’s ok.  Just enjoy the music.