Handling Heavy Amps

There are several amps I’m interested in possibly purchasing but I’m dissuaded because of their weight. I’ve had lower back issues so I need to be careful. I live alone. Even if my wife was still alive she would not have been able to help much. Also Children live far. I see that many of you have these 60-100 pound behemoths and I wonder how do you manage. If I buy from my dealer he’ll load it in my SUV. However when I get home it will be difficult to get it out and onto the garage floor where I can place it on my handcart. Then when I get it next to my rack I need to maneuver it out of the box and up onto the rack. I guess I would need to see if my dealer would deliver it and place it on the rack. Probably for a fee. So that may work. But then if I need to paint, move furniture, resell the unit whatever I would need help. I think I can handle up to 40lbs. So how do you handle these amps? Is it a concern for you?  I’m spoiled by my Benchmark 12 lb AHB2. It’s also the reason I’ve been investigating Class D amps. 

jfrmusic

Parasound A23+ is only 27lbs. You could run 2 in mono. It's Class A/AB, 500W/channel @8 ohms in bridged mode. 

I agree, hire an INSURED furniture mover, a piano mover for something huge needing care.

IF a friend unable to help had a brother, son, etc, that might work.

Coincidentally, looking for powerful amp/mono blocks: I thought, the front handles can help when repositioning something already in place, but nearly worthless lifting/putting in place.

Also, in-place, access to in/out connectors must be solved safely.

I’m in the same boat as you.  Tried the Class D route but now sorry I did.  You’re probably looking at several thousand dollars for your new amp.  Hire someone if your dealer won’t do it, buying used or need to move it again.  Feeling pain for maybe the rest of your life just isn’t worth it.  Most areas have handyman services.  That’s who I use now.  Shouldn’t cost you more than about 100 bucks and again worth every penny.

@jfrmusic Yes, no-hashtag metoo. I have C7ES’s, lower-back problems, no local dealers, and no family members or local friends who can help me with heavy components.

Last year, I spent several months comparing integrateds for a major upgrade, with an eye on weight. I’ve had Class D amps, but have always found them to be too harsh, grainy, analytical, whatever you want to call it. I understand that newer Class D designs, which use GaN FETs, resolve many of these problems, but have had no opporutnity to hear them myself.

What I found was that the best option was the Ayre line. Ayre’s products are based on the brilliant Charlie Hansen’s adaptation of "diamond" output-stage circuitry, which produces power much more efficiently than do more conventional designs.

E.g., check out Stereophile/Absolute Sound’s reviews of Ayre's EX-8 v.2 integrated, about $10K, 300+ wpc, very broad functionaity & flexible connectivity, and including an integrated DAC that is really quite impressive for an embedded component. All clocking in at  24 pounds, most of which is the weight of the unit’s transformers.

A runner-up, that offers the same rarified class of SQ, is the Hegel line.  High-powered, beautifully designed & built, great functionality & connectivity, and even the integrated, I believe, is something like 45 pounds.

Both of these lines have a reputation for being a particularly good match with Harbeths.

If you're considering tubes, there are options like ARC’s $8500 VSi75 & $5500 i/50 integrateds, 50/75wpc & 40/37 pounds -- relatively limited connectivity, and maybe not a great match for the Harbeths' high-end, but still great products.

Bottom line is that llighter-weight products are out there, but there aren’t many.  Broader adoption of GaN Class Ds may create more opportunities this year.

I realize that you’ve been bombarded with help since posting your original message, but I hope these suggestions are helpful.

@cundare2 

Thanks. The Ayre I need to check out. Don’t need an integrated. I have the Benchmark HPA4 and just bought an MSB Discrete DAC.  I’m also considering the Bryston 3B3 (35lbs)and the CODA 5.5 Class A (45lbs).