Differences in YouTube, Spotify, etc.

What music streaming service do most members use, and why?

128x128rickguild

I use Spotify Premium for quite a bit of my streaming. Even though it’s lossy and here are the reasons why. Ease of use, I can have my entire family on 1 account with different profiles so everyone can listen to what they want for $16/month across the multiple devices used from my phone, to the kids’ ipads, to my desktop, driving in the car and multi-room streaming at home over ethernet.

Because I have premium all of my wi-fi streaming is at 320Kbps. Lossy for sure but for casual listening at home and in the car or travelling, I’m not stressing over lossless. The vast catalog of music from obscure stuff to local bands and everything in between that Qboz and Tidal don’t carry or won’t carry.

I use Spotify to find new music and then I buy that artist on either vinyl, CD or FLAC files for the home library. I also stream the several channels Radio Paradise has, which are lossless and use that as a new music source.

I’ve tried Amazon HD but I don’t care for the interface. Again...Spotify works with my audio ecosystem and casual listening needs. For purposeful and dedicated listening sessions it’s vinyl, CDs, or FLAC, and/or RP and Spotify.

Qobuz.  Tidal doesn't interest me, and I want nothing to do with Apple.  In the car I listen to the free AccuRadio app.

First choice for me is Qobuz.  Having said that I might revisit Tidal which has ditched MQA and gone to FLAC for their hi rez stuff.  Tidal has a "Connect" feature that Qobuz does not and this may be important to some people.  Good luck and cheers.  

Tidal here. Tried Qobuz but heard no difference. Tidal connect is a must (no third party work around to get it setup an running). I plugged my streamer in to my Ethernet  cable and BAM, tidal connect recognized it on my computer and my phone. So easy. My Tidal playlists are now to big (and loved) to abandon (they cant be moved between platforms). The daily recommendations are incredible.

Mostly Qobuz, occasionally Tidal, which has more classic rock albums than TIdal.

Qobuz generally has better sound quality than Tidal, distinguishable even on my Bluesound Node.  Qobuz also has more info/reviews on albums than Tidal does.  I have used Pandora and Spotify (the awful, free version); they have their virtues, but high-end sound quality isn't one of them.