Playback designs followup?

There was a flurry of impressions when this player first came out, all of which was very favourable. I would really like to hear from the original users and others who are very familiar with this player about their impressions about its sound.
For the lucky owners, is it still as spectacular as initial impressions suggested or maybe even better with ongoing use??
Thanks
ecka
I'm an original owner of a Playback Designs MPS-5, it was delivered new to me in June 2008. Prior to the Playback player I owned several, actually every, iteration of the EMM Labs machines- starting with the modified Phillips transport & DAC 6 up to the CDSA S.E. one box player which I think is still fairly current. Over the years the EMM Labs one box and two box units have consistently been right at the top of the heap in digital playback year in and year out. This is for good reason- they are fantastic performing units that do little wrong. I've enjoyed them all- IMMENSELY.

When I first plugged in the Playback Designs MPS-5 I was immediately impressed. It certainly sounded, at first blush, better than the CDSA S.E. and by a significant margin. I then did my time and let the player break-in with 24/7 play for weeks. Then I was confident in making a more detailed analysis of the differences. Here they are:

The Playback Designs MPS-5-

Lifted a light veil that covered the entire frequency range on the CDSA S.E.

Had increased bass impact and extension.

Exhibits no graininess in the treble region- the CDSA S. E. had a little grain.

Sounds much closer to the original analog source than the CDSA S. E.- see below. (This is the ultimate goal for me)

Has superior build quality and S.O.T.A. industrial design- the CDSA S.E. doesn't.

Remote control works flawlessly, the CDSA S.E. remote control was hit & miss, at best.

Many months later I feel even stronger than I originally did about this player's level of performance. In fact, warm up the flame throwers, for the first time I feel that vinyl playback is usually inferior to the CD or SACD playback on the MPS-5. There's the occasional 1st or audiophile pressing that trumps the MPS-5's digital playback of the same title, but for the most part vinyl playback, for me, is now more of a hobbyist's exercise than one that produces a superior result. I firmly believe one would need to spend in excess of $40k on a turntable, arm, cart, phono stage, etc. to CONSISTENTLY outperform the Playback Designs unit. In fact, I really don't think $40k would do it, probably more like $80k - $100k and then you still must deal with the hit and miss quality of contemporary vinyl pressings and/or spend enormous sums of time and money seeking out 1st or "Hot Stamper" pressings of your favorite, older, titles.

There's clearly not a large enough installed base of Playback Designs players to warrant the time and expense of developing modifications to these players.
Moreover, modding stereo equipment is, for the most part, a rat hole for one to throw $$ down, never to recover but a fraction of when selling the unit. Digital is the fastest moving target on the audiophile horizon and not the place you want to play Frankenstein, unless you just don't care about the money you're pissing away. Looked at another way, the MPS-5 is limited production, handmade product not dissimilar to a Ferrari. Go ahead and put a Tubi exhaust (power cord) on your 599 GTB but don't take it to the guy working out of his garage for a little engine tweaking. Let the infinitely more talented and experienced designers at the factory build the best machine they know how to- This is what, I believe, Playback Designs has done.

The MPS-5 is the best digital playback, if not the best MUSIC playback device I have heard or owned.

Fbhifi:

I note you'd had the Evolution Acoustics MM3s?

Have you moved on from these loudspeakers? If so, what has bettered them?
Playback Designs, darTZeel and Evolution Acoustics. Too much inbreeding here. This reminds me of the "Linnies" of the 1970s and 80s. LinnNaimLinnNaimLinnNaim...