Records and CDs

I’ve just spent a couple of weeks exclusively going through my extensive record collection playing hardly any digital media and have come to some conclusions.
Records are fun and enjoyable to work with, but ultimately for a music lover they’re a dead end. Since very few new titles are being released on records these days I find myself going through mainly old familiar performances. Then there’s the age old problem of comparing the SQ of both media which is maddening. I just today went back to streaming (and CDs.). I clearly see, for me this is the way to continue my listening habits. Records can be used as a diversion but not the main event.

128x128rvpiano

RV, FWIW, you have now arrived at where I was 10+ years ago. Vinyl had actually become more of a distraction than anything else. Great sonics (and some performances) on a few records, but when I played them I was more in awe of the sounds than the music. Bad reason for listening I thought. So I gave my records and system to a relative and I got all that I could no longer get, a refocusing on the music. Frankly I don’t really miss them and I’m able to spend my time discovering new (to me) music and enjoying what I already have. And because of age (hearing issues and audio limitations) I have focused on chamber music and solo instruments, mostly piano. I never really was that fond of orchestral due to recording limitations as well as the reality of having Mahler in my living room. I saved serious listening for the concert hall.

Perhaps it’s time to take Thoreau’s advice. Simplify! :-)

@yogiboy

I don’t know why there is an either/or dichotomy with analog and digital in my head. Others in this forum have experienced the same dilemma. Somehow they won’t peacefully exist. It would be nice if I could have it both ways.

@newbee 

Exactly the same experience.  Listening for the sound of records rather than the music.  That becomes the operative mode.  And yes, orchestral which is my main listening is extremely uneven and frustrating..

@rvpiano - I've had a Clearaudio Charisma cartridge, the one just above the Maestro, and I can tell you that is one awesome MM cartridge; never felt the need to move up to an MC cart in the 3+ years I've had this. I hope you enjoy your Maestro....

Sound-wise, I enjoy both vinyl and CD and have good systems for both. Sound quality matters aside, I'll always prefer looking at album artwork on a nice 12"x12" sleeve than a little CD-sized casing. 

Can’t resist the temptation to do an A-B comparison between the record and the streamed digital version of the same performance to test SQ.