Furman Upgrade to Niagra

I remember ready an article some time ago by @erik_squires on 110v power and him recommending these as a good place to start, so I bought a couple of: https://furmanpower.com/product/15a-6-outlet-surge-suppressor-strip/

I recall him saying to use one bank for analogue and the other for digital. Well, I have no analogue gear, so I just use all the outlets as needed.

What would an Audioquest Niagra 3000 or even the Niagra 1200 do for my system over and above my simple power strips, would the large monetary investment be a substantial beneficial to my system over my pair of PST-6s? Thanks.

128x128navyachts

I had the same experience.  I brought home an AQ Niagara 5000 from Hifi Buys a couple of years back with a Hurricane power cord to replace my Furman Elite 15 Power Factor.  It was expensive but very effective.  I also have separate, dedicated power lines to the front end and amps.  The Niagara is on the front end.  

I moved the Furman power conditioner to my HT system and saw a large improvement in the TV picture.  It improved the colors and sharpness.  So win-win.

Funny story- last year I replaced my Sony LED TV with a Sony OLED TV.  (This was after putting the Furman in the HT system.). I listed the old TV for sale and placed it in the garage.  When someone came to buy the TV I plugged it directly into the wall.  The picture looked dull and fuzzy to me.  I started to panic thinking the TV was broken.  Then I realized that’s the difference the power conditioner makes.  The buyer thought the picture looked great.

@tonywinga Very interesting. I remember a few years ago at a show in New York (THE show?) Richard Gray’s Power Company made an absolute killing. The hotel power was terrible and lots of TVs were on display and looking poor. Word quickly spread that the TV’s on a Power Company conditioner were doing better than those that were not and many vendors were buying units right there.

As you know, I’m a Furman fanboy, so I am not surprised it helps, but the more a conditioner helps, the worse your power quality was to begin with. In your case I think it is really worthwhile to understand why your starting point is so poor.  Might be worthwhile to have an electrician come and check things out.

Over Covid I was out of work and sold all my gear (and my house) just to survive, in that old set up I had a Furman PF Elite that I let go for pennies on the dollar. Wish I had it (and my old system) back again...

ECON 101

- Have up to 12 mortgage payments in a savings account dude

- Multiple revenue sources is key (in case one fails). Re-examine your career and level of job security.

- Don’t hang out with audiophiles (or forums dedicated to them) unless you are rich. Most of them are just trust fund babies. A few of them got rich by their own inner aptitude (but, point is...they got rich somehow).