Expectation and musical perception

The PBS series "Closer to Truth"  did a episode on "How Do Human Brains Experience Music?"
https://youtu.be/1TsitZvvcsw?si=UnTa-wlFnrrFiTnB

in which they explained the complex pathway by which the brain turns perception of sound into recognizable speech or music. Most significantly Prof Elizabeth Margulis of Princeton states that prior knowledge in the brain actually changes what we perceive when listening to music. The whole show is worth watching but at least check out her segment around the 23 minute mark.

What I get from this is that when listening to music the issue of expectation bias is HUGE.  If the brain is expecting something it can open the door to hearing it, and the reverse is also true.

I see relevance here to the many on-going discussions on this forum. What do you think?

Some of you may beinterested in Dr. Margulis books or the work of her Music Cogntion Lab at

Ag insider logo xs@2xbruce19

Makes sense to me, but it also seems to me that prior knowledge and expectation bias could change one's perception of anything, wouldn't it? 

FWIW, it's easy to agree with the general statement about expectations (and resultant perceptions). This is why serious audiophiles so often refer to 'listening skills' or the lack thereof. Unfortunately obtaining listening skills can be both time consuming and expensive, something many can not afford, not to mention the need to keep and open mind for those who like fresh air. :-) 

Two pattern of sounds act as in steganography the superposition of two geometrical colored patterns and then can initiate a veiled or hidden third one image...

The impact of Bach music is especially clear by his use of superposed melodic lines...Counterpoint is steganographical...

We perceive what we had learn to perceive relatively to our own innate biases but also with our own sound deciphering learned history by what Goethe called " exact sensorial imagination".

Some level of synesthesia may be also implicated to some point... I myself hear music as geometrical flow in my "sensorial imagination" ...

Dr. Margulis is right... Thanks for the recommendation...

https://twitter.com/DenisLabelleX/status/1757510366639038928

As i said here often we must LEARN how to hear and listen all our life...

This is also why acoustic is so deeply educative...

Music is by his content interpretation  an education of attention duration , focus and span ... Also music contain cultural consciousness level  information which cannot be reach otherwise...

Most significantly Prof Elizabeth Margulis of Princeton states that prior knowledge in the brain actually changes what we perceive when listening to music.

What is sad is that most people looking for a good sound think that investing in a 100,000 bucks  gear system ( with not even a dedicated room acoustic) is the key...Instead of studying basic mechanical,electrical and acoustical knowledge...

it is why i cannot take seriously most audio thread  which are about gear expanse and branded name consumerism...