Cambridge EVO 150

Cambridge Audio has been known for their quality budget minded consumer. They recently have pushed into the audiophile market with their Edge series. The Edge A amplifier, $6,000 has many of the same features as amps the same target market.

It has been harder to peg Cambridge’s exact consumer level they have been trying to carve out their footprint. The CXN v2 streamer is excellent. Their 851a amp was an excellent offering, though some had a problem turning off just after being turned on and eventually bricking.

The EVO line is marketed in no-mans land. At $3,000 it is more expensive than budget minded but not anywhere the sound of a good amp plus streamer and dac from some other names and from Cambridge. If those true audiophile-level components were purchased used for your hard earned $3,000 then the EVO 150 doesn’t even enter the race.

i’ve not heard the EVO 75 and the reviews out there say that it is vastly underpowered. It is nice that we have some forum reviewers who can hold these companies to task with their stated RMS and at what output and what acceptable THD.

The EVO 150 has all of the usual awards, mostly from places we have never heard of. Similar to typing who makes the best on Google and it will always take you to Amazon. Big name magazines sell their names, such as PC Magazine’s best mouse pal.

Like many other class d amplifiers this has a smaller footprint. I will not speak of the low heat because frankly, who really cares. Everyone wants to know about functions and quality of sound.

The EVO 150 is named for evolution but a better moniker would be Prius-like hybrid ECO technology. It had a built in dac and streamer, not the dual Wolfsons as it their CXN v2. The EVO uses the ESS Sabre entry level 9018 2 channel chipset.
There is no external power supply, mostly expected. The toroidal power has been replaced with something cheaper and smaller, perhaps because the class d doesn’t need such a large one.

It has a built in streamer, hence the all-in-one. The CXN v2 streamer is not the same.

Their highest Edge A amp in contrast, does have a toroidal power supply, dual chipset, a 24/384 streamer and at 100wpc has an incredible amount of listenable headroom.

I paired this test with B&W 802 Diamond 2 set 6 feet out from the wall. Great quality disconnects and 10g speaker cables were used, whatever that means.

I sat back with my audio chair in the same place. Another person plugged in Cherry monos using CXN v2 and Cherry amps. Stream Magic was used as the pre-amp substitute. Next, the CXN v2 streamer was removed from the chain and the Edge A was used. Next, the EVO 150 with internal streamer.

After streaming taken out of the picture, a high res CD was used as the source. For the Cherry amps an inexpensive passive Little Bear was used.

Results: By far the best soundstage and linearity was with the CD and the Cherry amps. Next best quality were the Cherry amps with the Cambridge CXN v2 streamer. Third was the Cambridge Edge A with a CD source. Next was the Edge A with it’s built in streamer. Te Cherrys performed with my amazement considering they have been out of production and technology for a long time now. Fifth and a very distant fifth, the EVO 150 with a CD source. Here it became such an unexpected result: The EVO 150 with it’s internal streamer had zero front to back soundstage. Left to right was barely listenable to an audiophile level. Timber was non-existent. Even though the highest res possible same songs were played on Qubuz, it always sounded like I was in the 90th row.
on a side note, my B&W woofers fluttered prematurely. I turned the music up until I could start to hear timber. I couldn’t achieve it. The guitars sounded like the vocals and the keyboards. It all just blended in. Of course not all was bad. The EVO 150, lacking headroom, did make nice sound coming from the tweeters of the 802’s.

Now this took all afternoon. It was time consuming for the other person to change and to be honest, the Cherry amps with the CD sounded rather similar, but not exact to the Edge A with the CD. The Cherry amps with the CXN v2 streamer was also close to the Egde A with it’s built in streamer. It was the soundstage that set them apart and I could hear the difference. If I did not have the Cherrys and the Edge play one after the other I would not notice a difference after an hour of listening.

The EVO 150 was so underpowered I doubt it is 150wpc when the Edge A was much louder at 100wpc.

Summary: My recommendation is to ignore the nameless awards and listen to the EVO 150 before you buy it. I would not recommend buying the EVO 150 from an online retailer unheard. I would not buy it. It sounded similar to 1980’s $500 Techniques connected to Bose 301’s. Those were fairly good budget units for the day when higher end Sansui, Levinson and McIntosh existed.

128x128geworthomd

I wouldn’t call it forward sounding at all. There is however no high end rolloff as was more common in older Class D amps and that is a difference for the better in terms of hearing all the detail in a recording, which the Evo 150 is very good at.

To round out, the EVO 150 I had for 3 weeks really wasn’t terrible, but just ok for a budget all-in-one. Streamer though was really crap. It depends a lot on your speakers. If they are high end audiophile then you can expect more of a source of quality driving them. I guess that is why it is common knowledge that a better quality speaker will unmask the lesser quality component in the chain. Going back to the separate component streamer from the same company, the CXN v2 made all of the difference for me. A lot. One thing I found really interesting was that the $6500 Edge A amp, high quality for medium intermediate audiophile level but no high like some of you higher end guys, was really not a ton better than the Cambr 851a I had ($1300).  I am very lucky to have the B&W Diamond II, but not as good as a lot of you own. I wish…

i second the notion that separates are better. Upgrading is easy. I also wish to repeat that I really like the CXN v2. I wonder if anyone could chime in and say if different high streamers have made a change in sound for you as the CXN v2 did compared to my, now thankfully, sold EVO 150. There is something for every quality of speaker out there. Heck, my father-in law bought my now wife a Ford Pinto. Lucky for her it was never rear ended!  Does anyone have an external dac with an ESS 9038 pro or 9039 pro chipset?  Everyone says upgrading an external separate dac is a must. I was just wondering if anyone has a dac that has made a huge difference when u upgraded, which chipset does it have?  The CXN v2 has dual Wolfsons. Each Wolfson is two channel for a total of 4. The ESS 9039 pro and 9038 pro each have 4 channels. The EVO 150 has the cheaper ESS 9018 two channel chip. Does anyone have any thoughts whether or not these chipsets make a difference. I truly am impressed with the CXN v2 (now mostly face-lift to the CXN100?  My next purchase will be an external dac but I wd like to hear from the brothers out there what your thoughts on all of this are. Is it sales pitch hype or have you found something that is just short of a miracle for external dacs and external streamers?  No EVO 150 guys though, lol, kidding, not really, is what I meant (sorry to that one poster who likes his :)

i did like all of the high frequency clarity of the EVO 150. As higher frequency sounds came out it just kept getting better and better for sure. For what I did not like about it the treble was not part of that. 

Aren’t the Ohm speakers of yours omnidirectional. If so then they would not be expected to have soundstage bec they are not directional?  Just curious bec I haven’t ever heard them. My older Maggies fired front and back and they did have directional soundstage, a lot.  They weren’t as forward sounding as these Diamonds though. 
Roll-off. Do they roll-off tweeters at the high end?  I did not know that. I just assumed all manufacturers let the speakers go as high after the mid-high crossover to 20kHz. Interesting.