Rega Planar 3 50th anniversary

Hello, this is my first post on this site. I’ve had various turntables over the years and currently own a Technics SL-1700 mk. 1. I’ve had it completely refurbished and I think it’s great. I can’t help being attracted to the 50th anniversary planar 3 with the looks and upgrades for the price. I’ve had an entry level pro-Ject manual belt driven table before. I’m curious if the planar 3 would be an upgrade from my Technics. Thanks — Matt

plasticspoon8

I had the Exact 2 MM cartridge for a couple of years and really enjoyed it on my Rega 6. If you can afford the extra $500 or so it would take to get into a P6 with Exact, you will go well beyond the Technics in sound.

But as you know, a turntable is only as good as the TT preamp. Hence, you may want to consider going with the P3 Anniversary table with Exact 2 and add a Rega Fono preamp which would be about the same price as a P6 with Exact 2. Guess you need to dial in your price point. I would also encourage you to, at some point, to add the Rega Couple 3 cable as it perfectly matches Rega turntables and cartridges. It sells for $150.