EAR 834P - Sale or try and repair...

I have an EAR 834P and the volume is decreasing on the left channel. I opened the case and the tubes appear fine. However, there is some browning on the breadboard on one wire (coming from the toroidal power transformer), to the single phase bridge rectifier, and resistor (breadboard: P5, D3).

I have done some simple soldering (ex., DIY bottlehead amp) just not sure about diagnosis this issue.

• Does anyone have any ideas on a possible repair?

Otherwise, I plan to post it on the forum for sale. Just hate to take a loss on the price if it is a simple part replacement.

abp689
@bigkidz: looked up your website, really nice work! I didn't see any pricing for repairs, but if I go that route, I will send you a PM. I am kind of on the fence as I have wanted to do some of the upgrades myself for some time. But starting to get cold feet. I would like to add a couple items, just have not done enough research to know what would be a proper (and easy) modification on this one. 

@theflattire what SUT do you have? I have a Dynavector 10x on a VPI Classic (next year or so I plan to change out Dynavector)

@abp689 

I have Hashimoto HM-7s and a James Audio SUT.  I also had some Ned Clayton built Cinemag 1254s and they were nice too.

If you google EAR upgrades you'll get a boat load.  Minimum I would do the caps.

if you can do work yourself replace all power supply caps with Nichicon then add some V-Caps.  You will hear an immediate improvement.

Peter

@bigkidz 

Which Vcaps do you like?

Right now I'm using a mix of Miflex and Mundorf on my clone.

@theflattire - Odam, the Milflex copper we liked but not as much as the V-Caps but Milflex also increased in price since we first used them so they are no longer the bargin they originally were.  Mundorf only in certain applications.  Nichicon Super through for power supply, Audio Note capacitors in key areas, Audio non-magnetic resisters and Amtrans resistors we mainly use.

Peter