Pre-amp vs gain control box help please

I have a streamer and also an amp (no gain controls). I don’t use much else. I do have a Sony HapZ1es NAS that maybe I will find the time to put some music on. 
(1) Just use the cheap switch and gain control boxes I already have (Amazon cheap Chns

(2) Red Rose Music 3a preamp but it does not have any XLR’s. I would have to use XLR /rca cable but as you know, eliminates balanced outs

What would you recommend?  Would my two cheap boxes (gain control and a,b,c switch) decrease or increase noise in this chain?  Is there less distortion in a pre-amp of $2,000 quality?

128x128geworthomd

For any system, new or Vintage, without Remote Volume Control, I often and highly recommend this Chase RLC-1 Remote Line Controller

This one is ridiculously over-priced, but it shows it well

Noiseless! It's claim S/N ratio 105db is true, I have used them in or out, thru tape loops, none of my friends can ever detect any difference except the advantages of it's features.

You MUST have the Remote, no controls on the unit. They pop up for sale frequently, if you see a used one with remote at a good price, or, a new one under $200. jump on it.

One way is to find and buy a remote separately, now you can buy a unit missing the remote.

It has Remote Balance, once you have that feature, you won't want to live without it.

I liked the Chase when I had one decades ago...typically under $100 on ebay despite that one shown...

I second the Schiit Kara...solid state with similar thd and noise specs to Benchmark...and....

Passive Mode

Gain Mode with no signal amplification

Gain mode with 12db amplification

Balanced and single ended inputs and outputs

Switching between 5 inputs

Relay switched stepped attenuator

Great reviews...

Easy resale if you ever decide to move on

$700