Another post about a streamer upgrade

Hello

I’ve read a lot of the threads here about streamers and moving up the chain.

However, it seems there’s not a ton of info for relatively modestly priced streamers … most threads focus on the Bluesound / Ifi Zen range or the Aurender N200 range.

I have an Ifi Zen Stream with an LPS fronted by an Ether Regen and would like to move on to something better… mainly from a usability and app standpoint but would like to spend significantly less than $2k.

I think the writing is on the wall with the Innuos Pulse Mini but curious if others have a suggestion that would be a sq improvement from the Ifi and a much better user experience for around $1500 give or take.

I currently use the JPLAY app to access Qobuz to stream DLNA to the Ifi but it’s frustrating and connectivity isn’t great. 

I don’t use Roon so the Sense app from Innuos is probably the best bet from what I gather.   I’d also be interested in the Aurender system but according to many the N200 is where to start there and that’s significant higher priced than where I want to go at this point.

Are there any other options with great usability and sound that I’m not thinking of.

I typically run Spdif coax out to my dacs but could also run usb.

thanks in advance 

j_andrews

Good question. It looks like you have a carefully chosen system. Looks nice as well. 

Typically I would immediately say, save up for an Aurrender N200. But I think, given your other equipment the Innuos Pulse Mini would fit right in. So unless you are planning on upgrading your entire system over the next few years, then it sounds like your thinking is pretty sound. I am sure some others will come up, with a couple other choices in that price range.

You don't have to jump so far up the Aurender line.  The N150 would be entry point if you are shopping based on cost to an upper level streamer brand.  I think if you shop around, you will find a dealer willing to discount.  I suggest shopping used for streamers that retail in the 2 to 3 range for a step up.  Look at The Music Room or hear on Audiogon for great products in your price range.  Be sure to find an interface that you like.  If you upgrade, please let us know the type of sonic differences you notice, if any.  Thanks.  

Definitely upgrade to something better if you are willing to invest. There are several highly praised products in the similar price range to IP mini, such as Volumio Primo / Rivo with built-in upsampling and EQ and a used Rose RS250A. The Ifi ZS has been reliable for me in the past. I’ve used MConnect for Quboz with minimal issues. However, I agree with your point about the app’s flow, which can be somewhat annoying at times.

You are right on focussing on the user interface and InnuOS at your price point is the obvious choice